Can I

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolly

Reaction score
Hello fellow members I’m new to brewing beer I’ve been brewing cider from scratch for about 8 years get it to about 14% my question is I’ve got a brew kit Belgian ale can I add hops to it while fermenting I have citra hops would this work or just ruin my whole brew ??? Thanks in advance for any advice regards Jolly

Do you mean adding hops while it's boiling or while it's fermenting (dry hopping)? If this is your first beer brew, I'd recommend just following the kit instructions as those are designed to be a certain style. If you wanted to use your hops, I'd recommend getting a pale ale kit and using the Citra as a dry hop.

While it’s fermenting sorry don’t know any of the terminology it’s a Belgian ale I love the triple hop Duvel trying to replicate that would it work ??

Sure, dry hopping is super common and can impart really intense hop aromas and flavors if you do it at the right time with the right hops and then package carefully to avoid oxidation. Citra sounds good and should work well.

Please explain when would be the right time? And oxidisation do you mean while fermenting and or when bottling sorry if this sounds dumb

which one of you is trolling me? lol

yes you can add hops to the fermenter, it's called dry hopping.....

edit: it's kind of a waste of hops though...hops are expensive, and as long as you boil them for bittering, you get enough preserviative power from that, dry hopping will only add flavor.....:confused:

And Welcome, fellow Jolly'er!!

Last edited:
Please explain when would be the right time? And oxidisation do you mean while fermenting and or when bottling sorry if this sounds dumb
There are lots of methods, schedules, etc. I suggest using the search function to read up a bit on dry hopping and determine both what you want to achieve and how to go about it.

Boil them me no comprenda lol hope to do it for taste so if I follow distructions on tin then add hops it will flavour said fermenting beer if this is true thanks again I have 50gs of citra hops hope that’s enough cost £2.75 so not a lot

Boil them me no comprenda lol hope to do it for taste so if I follow distructions on tin then add hops it will flavour said fermenting beer if this is true thanks again I have 50gs of citra hops hope that’s enough cost £2.75 so not a lot
Avoid letting in too much oxygen when you drop them in, and when you transfer to bottles I would suggest doing so directly from the fermenter, skip the bottling bucket.

meh, I use a bottling bucket for better sugar distribution and haven't had much issues with oxidation.

Dryhopping is best done after about 10 days, but no more than 5 days before you bottle(average).
So depending when your beer ferments out, you could wait 2 weeks, then add the dry hops by dropping them in(preferably in a sanitised hopsock or similar weighted with marbles).
then wait 3-5 days and bottle your beers.

meh, I use a bottling bucket for better sugar distribution and haven't had much issues with oxidation.

Dryhopping is best done after about 10 days, but no more than 5 days before you bottle(average).
So depending when your beer ferments out, you could wait 2 weeks, then add the dry hops by dropping them in(preferably in a sanitised hopsock or similar weighted with marbles).
I have had lots of problems using a bottling bucket with IPAs; after 2 weeks carbonating I get maybe a 1-2 week window to enjoy all that hoppy goodness before it fades completely. Using carb drops in the bottles and bottling directly from the fermenter has made a lot of improvement in subsequent batches. Small sized sugar cubes work just as well as carb drops.

I've left hops in my beer for 2 weeks with no ill effects. It seems to depend on the hop variety whether you will get grassy flavor leaving them that long.

3 weeks or longer in the fermenter before adding the dry hops works well provided you have a big supply of beer so you can be that patient.

I have had lots of problems using a bottling bucket with IPAs; after 2 weeks carbonating I get maybe a 1-2 week window to enjoy all that hoppy goodness before it fades completely. Using carb drops in the bottles and bottling directly from the fermenter has made a lot of improvement in subsequent batches. Small sized sugar cubes work just as well as carb drops.

IPA's and especially NEIPA's are a special case. My IPA's typically start losing the aroma at about 2 months and by 3 it's gone. Limiting the O2 exposure seems to be the key as you have noted.

I'm not trolling, thank you very much.
But while I'm not into super hopped Ipa's, I've made a good amount of apa's with dryhopping and not noticed a massive issue with oxidising.
Might be that i'm bad at spotting it, but to me at least for the first 2 months it seemed fine.

Latest posts

Back