can I use my March 809 pump for a DIY keg/carboy/draft line cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
Since I switched to BIAB, I have a March Pump #809 that I don't use anymore. Was thinking of repurposing it to build a DIY keg/carboy/keggle/draft line cleaner.

Most designs I have seen use a 5-gallon bucket and a sump-style pump, or a pond pump. Would the March Pump work for this? I have a ball valve on the outlet that I can use to throttle the flow rate. Any tips on how to plumb this up to a 1-gallon reservoir of cleaning and sanitizing solution? Here is a photo of the port orientation and the pump performance curve

3TJ6DobUPkgUeLLaWWGI3E0lAI_p3d6ctXaj08RpZBv-IjcUuAYl1wYH0j876PnmCYYHxAZzqlSpZyK-_4I2Gkbk1D2IU5uOkTlYoxJmYt8lIvuGhUs1f_q9tMAjji9y9CJznuzT7i2dtrek4xVkcFJlCJEqpA_o6Hy6yDsYa7g3nZHbxWwi771OXOLxg7GTUKMxIdTvp1H5U1o8KNx3eH__P4FqCkYMyXyI6tycbp4Az9gSyoEKf5Ru7QB5NjjkmGA5PhPLd7BLcL-5szPjePeUFXJyRMTN3RvWuCo0H9dbySgVZ0MUx5mAOe3mxiGAfuIVKDm_9mv3zuAyDC8HUKsz14ku48UFmfI9XBZTZuy0aaQyA3OPBXX0XUgYjbNM5d60p3jRW1zlwpeGikom0qjZ7CL9Fu2L-sJfPjRwMVBKvS_JbPWdK8qoWXdwk1AQomRYNXWWxP2IJMUTwzjMbM7hCQE-nx_mQvxSx8ciQENjx0blpdZ-AvTf2WSRXgFoDNLSwEU2numsw8wzXeuRD6kXmSrKmA1QosOIuYXO5pMJkQN_57brPGPM8rLl8MW7A_U3V8I6nlHajY2NY8-TjNC-5s0osC-xnuPRjaJF13wi7TgGJ0kq3sUQoO1iv-AlzZavWpkKx_d7pNiqlN52S-ao99kMTMQ=w500-h375-no

ZaWaXlzA8Al9wxSPF_XsR9lrt-d_CXnjc2IZ_w24RKl8RGA4q7SkStGWMrBSpoSHWoMd4D6YkO9MPLGtdl5e5ZZPiRx2_0kr1BieCDKFG1eTSLgd6pNQNuGJTCvl7j8r064avLeVjaDOlasbivcRJ-acTRm9KFAzqB7MO2naQGunsBLIcJuqOFV_2ownYbjBJoGOHhLKba1Zi3gGQ1h32dHLGk575V3Oa8okbPYtNYL8-9lsQ79BbrnbjXjdHRfgI0GmdG3EeH3nohIN0lbc_Lx-sCe9k762xpfkLGDb7tu5XFZYMMP7qc0gXVqDFtp7YAHDNPdm-hBLsu6JxIyv3dwstZO4G5hW_ps0MmykPNoLaHkLh_lD0jWtyq_qh2tYYlP5eIfjgFsE2XwaarStcI9svKXgJj05E6HcIhK5Hqq1DndmIsPj4Lg4bDd_SWWflrpYTNhlpLwHi3c3Mcju7xgDC_L7tHKjeITIuoU0z0ybl7y9_WkhuLwNQAdTQXaveUW2918fN2kv3z3nXe9EAmtE5qZYxWjd209XejRyZm0NEh3T4XNZXsKiNXELfqqjot87236FRybJVbEPVJuROirKD-7ydSIGELEQXexmz8bW8v-2fSzANCsp_fwy8HgEcUvlEsTA9xTtOuA1k3s4pchrQMFedFw=w478-h500-no

Your pump could be used for a cleaning system. You would want a container like a 5 gallon bucket as a reservoir for hot cleaning solution. The base of the bucket would need a outlet fitting that could be plumbed to the suction inlet of the pump.

Remember that the pump suction inlet needs to be physically lower than the bucket for it to work properly. That can mean just setting the bucket on a low stand of some kind.

The pump discharge outlet should have a flow control valve. You would need to figure out what types of hoses and adapter fitting to connect to various parts of your brewing system.

Your hoses and adapters also need some kind of return line back to the bucket so the system recirculates the cleaning solution.

One thing to remember is that when using a recirculating cleaning system with hot cleaning solution, the solution will lose heat fairly quickly. Some recirculating cleaning systems use an in-line heater in the loop or a solution reservoir with an internal heater to maintain the temperature of the solution.

Your pump could be used for a cleaning system. You would want a container like a 5 gallon bucket as a reservoir for hot cleaning solution. The base of the bucket would need a outlet fitting that could be plumbed to the suction inlet of the pump.

Remember that the pump suction inlet needs to be physically lower than the bucket for it to work properly. That can mean just setting the bucket on a low stand of some kind.

yes thinking of setting the bucket on a milk crate with the pump affixed to the underside of the bucket. I'm sure I can find a bulkhead fitting to plumb the pump intake through the bottom of the bucket so it is gravity-fed

The pump discharge outlet should have a flow control valve. You would need to figure out what types of hoses and adapter fitting to connect to various parts of your brewing system.

Your hoses and adapters also need some kind of return line back to the bucket so the system recirculates the cleaning solution.

Yes, already have a ball valve on the outlet port. I can figure out the supply side plumbing with some PVC and ball-lock fittings. Do you think this pump is strong enough for a spinning CIP spray ball?

On the return side, I wasn't going to plumb anything up for kegs and carboys, just invert them to let gravity drain the solution back into the bucket. I guess this system wouldn't fit under my taps on my kegerator drip dray, so a simple length of silicone tubing over the tap should return solution to the bucket

One thing to remember is that when using a recirculating cleaning system with hot cleaning solution, the solution will lose heat fairly quickly. Some recirculating cleaning systems use an in-line heater in the loop or a solution reservoir with an internal heater to maintain the temperature of the solution.

hmm hadn't though of that. I expected the mechanical action of the pump would actual add heat to the solution....I suppose I could toss an aquarium heater in the bucket if I need to

Last edited:
hmm hadn't though of that. I expected the mechanical action of the pump would actual add heat to the solution....I suppose I could toss an aquarium heater in the bucket if I need to

I doubt that an aquarium pump will keep up with heat losses. The cleaning solution moving through the pump, hoses, kegs and whatever will act like a radiator and your cleaning solution will lose heat fairly rapidly.
A buddy of mine re-purposed an in-line engine block heater with his cleaning system to keep the circulating solution hot.

Last edited:
does the commercial Mark's Keg and Carboy Washer have a heater? Or is it not a problem with that design?

No, I don't think it does. One of the reviews on it said that the temperature drops quickly while in use.

A heater makes most cleaners more effective, but its not entirely necessary.

Many folks on here have found that the March/Chugger/Steelhead pumps unfortunately do not have oomph to effectively clean kegs/carboys a la the type of sump pump/bucket washers you reference. In a washer like this you really need the cleaner to forcefully hit the inverted bottom of the vessel to cascade down the sides in order to be truly effective. These type of pumps have not proven capable of doing that.

That said, I do think this pump would be fine to rig up to clean your tap lines/faucets.

Many folks on here have found that the March/Chugger/Steelhead pumps unfortunately do not have oomph to effectively clean kegs/carboys a la the type of sump pump/bucket washers you reference. In a washer like this you really need the cleaner to forcefully hit the inverted bottom of the vessel to cascade down the sides in order to be truly effective. These type of pumps have not proven capable of doing that.

That said, I do think this pump would be fine to rig up to clean your tap lines/faucets.

thanks for saving me some wasted time. I assume others have tried restricting the flow with a nozzle/spray ball to increase the velocity of the spray? Is performance limited by the GPM or pressure head? What specs should I look for in a good sump pump to design my bucket washer?

I see plenty of designs using just a little pond pump; surely a March pump is more powerful than those things?

Last edited:
Back