Can I use my Chugger pump for a Keg/Carboy Washer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcquistion

Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a little carboy washer and I wondered if I could go ahead and use my Chugger pump for a carboy washer project or would that be a bad idea? It's already here. It's very powerful. It seems like if I could hook up an outlet of the reservoir of the carboy/keg washer to the inlet of the Chugger pump, it ought to have more than enough power for the job.

Thoughts?

To add onto this idea, I'm wondering if I could go ahead and use my regular 11 gallon kettle (electric BIAB system) as the reservoir for the entire carboy/cleaning system. It already has a spigot at the bottom that is connected to the pump on a shelf just below it. The outlet of the pump normally connects to a hose that goes back in to the top of the kettle for whirlpool chilling. That outlet could be connected back to the cleaning stand/wand/contraption that sits on the bottom of the kettle and points up, into the carboy or keg, as it is being washed.

I built something like this first using my keggel then adapting a bucket as the reservoir. It worked but I do not use it anymore.

First I tried using one of my pumps with a DIY sprayball and that was a no go, not enough power. I then added my second pump in series as a booster pump but still no, too big of holes. Rebuilt the sprayball with smaller holes and it worked great. I messed around with it and cannot remember what I screwed up and ended up cutting the sprayball off. This was a blessing in disguise, with a open pipe about 4-6" from the bottom of the carboy/keg I got great sheeting and a PBW mix took care of everything in 5ish minutes.

I don't use it anymore because I don't clean carboys/kegs beforehand and do it during my mash/boil to save/fill the time. I can take pictures of my contraption if you want.

Back