Can I use brass in a wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all. I have built a copper wort chiller. I used 3/8" copper but I could not find 90˚*copper elbows locally. I did find a 90˚brass compression fitting. Is it OK to use brass in a immersion chiller? I used it to make a nice 90˚ turn at the bottom of the chiller where the cold water goes into the chiller. I didn't know if there would be any ill effects by boiling brass in my wort. Thanks.

With 3/8" OD copper, you should be able to make relatively tight bends by hand, especially if you pick up a spring sleeve bender. The tool would be cheaper than the fittings.

Thanks for the response Bobby. I was actually building one based on your video. I'll look into a spring sleeve bender. Is brass OK to use? I have already attached one compression fitting to the bottom.

It's fine to use. There is a miniscule amount of lead in machined brass but you can check out howtobrew.com for methods of pickling the brass before use. I think it's not necessary.

Latest posts

Back