Can I use a fridge to ferment - without a thermostat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoLeaps

Reaction score
Hiya,

I dove into my third brew (a pilsner) without looking at the fact that the optimal fermentation temperature for my recipe is 10 degrees C. I've only fermented at room temperature in the past, and so I was wondering (because I am now at the cooling stage and I don't have a solution) if I could use an empty fridge, with a dial but no thermostat. I could check the temp. of the fridge every day using a thermometer?

Desperate now as I have already made the brew.

Many thanks if anyone has any guidance
Leo

I'd say that given that you don't have another ready solution, it's worth a try. I can't honestly say though that I've heard of others using a fridge without an external thermostat. If it were possible/practical, I'd think people would be doing it.

One other thought... what yeast strain are you using, and what's the coolest ambient temperature available in your home?

I'd say that given that you don't have another ready solution, it's worth a try. I can't honestly say though that I've heard of others using a fridge without an external thermostat. If it were possible/practical, I'd think people would be doing it.

One other thought... what yeast strain are you using, and what's the coolest ambient temperature available in your home?

Yeah, I've searched and literally no one has done it this way. The only issue is I can't exactly order anything as my wort is cooling right now! The yeast is Saflager w-34/70. Lowest constant temperature couldn't go any lower than around 19 degrees...

Yeah, I've searched and literally no one has done it this way. The only issue is I can't exactly order anything as my wort is cooling right now! The yeast is Saflager w-34/70. Lowest constant temperature couldn't go any lower than around 19 degrees...

You may be in luck. 34/70 is reportedly very clean, even at higher (ale-like) fermentation temps.

You may be in luck. 34/70 is reportedly very clean, even at higher (ale-like) fermentation temps.

So I just, put it in the coldest place in my house and cross my fingers? Question is if that is better than my awful fridge idea..

I've just read online that I should pitch it cold and then store it at room temperature. Could I put the wort in the fridge for say an hour, take it out, pitch the yeast and then store it in the coldest cupboard I can find?

Sorry if I'm saying something utterly dumb, I really am very new to this!

I've just read online that I should pitch it cold and then store it at room temperature. Could I put the wort in the fridge for say an hour, take it out, pitch the yeast and then store it in the coldest cupboard I can find?

I don't even think it's necessary to pitch it into cold wort to start. I don't know why that would be. But it don't suppose it would hurt anything either.

OK so I'm going to take the plunge and pitch and leave it in a cupboard. I guess what I might get may not be a pilsner, but oh well. I'll update!

OK so I'm going to take the plunge and pitch and leave it in a cupboard. I guess what I might get may not be a pilsner, but oh well. I'll update!

Just a final thought. If that cupboard is a few degrees cooler than the rest of your home, great. But if it's about the same, you may not want to put your fermenter in a confined space, because fermentation is exothermic, and the cupboard will tend to hold that heat in.

Back