Can edible brewers yeast be used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so, the first link notes "Brewer's Yeast will not make your bread rise because it is inactive.". Inactive yeast generally means dead yeast. If they are confident it's not producing co2, it's dead. Even if it were alive, it wouldn't make great beer.

If you are looking for a yeast and for some reason don't want to buy any beer yeast, you can get the plain bread yeast(depending on the country they will call this brewers yeast or bread yeast). It won't taste great, but it will produce co2 and alcohol all the same. Usually they will cost pennies per pack and they will be bundled in packs of 5 or 10.

You should get a decent beer yeast though. Any reason you are looking into these? They don't look cheap or more widely available than a beer yeast.

I don't think so, the first link notes "Brewer's Yeast will not make your bread rise because it is inactive.". Inactive yeast generally means dead yeast. If they are confident it's not producing co2, it's dead. Even if it were alive, it wouldn't make great beer.

If you are looking for a yeast and for some reason don't want to buy any beer yeast, you can get the plain bread yeast(depending on the country they will call this brewers yeast or bread yeast). It won't taste great, but it will produce co2 and alcohol all the same. Usually they will cost pennies per pack and they will be bundled in packs of 5 or 10.

You should get a decent beer yeast though. Any reason you are looking into these? They don't look cheap or more widely available than a beer yeast.

I cant find any beer or wine yeast..this is all I could find...Can ordinary bakers yeast tolerate 8-10% alcohol? That is what I am aiming for..

I cant find any beer or wine yeast..this is all I could find...Can ordinary bakers yeast tolerate 8-10% alcohol? That is what I am aiming for..
Yes, it can. It won't taste great though.
Good luck.

I would look for homebrewing forums/communities in your country. Mine regularly has threads where people ship each other less common/uncommon yeasts. You can just buy the common beer yeasts where I live. I imagine we'd be shipping each other US-05 or W-34/70 if we couldn't buy it anymore.

Wait, are you from Australia? You should be able to get pretty much most kinds of yeast over there. Look for Mangrove Jacks and Fermentis brands.

Back