What is this? Mold? The "I" word?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evbc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We just uncovered an American Amber we've had in secondary to rack it tonight. When we uncovered it we saw this floating on top. I know the pictures don't do them justice but they look like extremely small grains of rice. Can anyone help us identify this? Thanks again for all of your help!

photo.jpg

Enlarged.jpg

Probably yeast rafts and nothing to worry about. If it smells OK and tastes OK I would not worry. If it smells bad or tastes bad then....

Yeah,that's just yeast chunks stirred up off the bottom during fermentation. Fermentation causes a convection current in primary,stirring things up till it's done. Most settle out again,some float. Your yeasties left you a floater! :drunk:

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! My wife was a microbiology major and naturally wanted to make sure before we racked it. I'll let her know they are yeast rafts, probably leave the word floater out of it though 😉. It didn't smell bad when I pulled the airlock and I'll report back on taste this afternoon after we rack it. Thanks again and cheers!

lolz,yeah,being the color it is,leaving floater out might be good in her regard.
Although,since she knows better,it might be funny. always leave'em laughin...:D

looks bad - don't drink it and send to me so i can make sure its bad:ban:

That really looks nice! Your in good shape

Door, you got it! I'm sure shipping a 5 gallon carboy won't hurt too bad :).

Well, we racked the beer yesterday and took a sample. It tasted great! I forgot to take a picture of it in the hydrometer test jar but it is probably our clearest beer to date. I'll make sure to take a picture of the first bottle we crack and relay how it tastes. Thanks again for all of the feedback!

Hi everyone,

We just uncovered an American Amber we've had in secondary to rack it tonight. When we uncovered it we saw this floating on top. I know the pictures don't do them justice but they look like extremely small grains of rice. Can anyone help us identify this? Thanks again for all of your help!

You already have the answer but...

Next time get out you sanitized spoon and smeel and taste it...

Even if it is mold you may have not lost your beer as long as when you rack it you leave the last bit in the fermentor. you have to get a taste from what is down below to check this for sure.

If you have an infection you need to make a decision...

Is it still "beer" well if it is chill it and drink it "FIRST".... You probably will finish it before the "little Beasties have ruined it.

DPB

Latest posts

Back