American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MMachi said:
I picked up the ingredients today and I'm looking forward to brewing it up on Sunday! Thanks for the recipe.

Racked to secondary to dry hop on Saturday and the taste was solid already. Good flavor with moderate bitterness and the aroma was already nice even before the dry hopping. I am amazed at the beautiful orange color too. Looking forward to bottling after 14 days and getting it carbed up. Pictures to follow!

ForumRunner_20130209_183040.jpg

:)

Forgot I brewed this about 6 weeks ago and just kegged my 10 gallons. Taste is great for being flat and warm, though the orange flavor is very very light. I followed the recipe directly. Next time I may consider adding some orange to secondary.

Forgot I brewed this about 6 weeks ago and just kegged my 10 gallons. Taste is great for being flat and warm, though the orange flavor is very very light. I followed the recipe directly. Next time I may consider adding some orange to secondary.

Wow, this is a great pale ale as it stands. Like I said earlier, the orange isn't really there but only noticeable in the back of your nose. I am thinking this just became my new house pale ale minus the orange. I'll probably add more orange for the summertime but remove it for all other times. Great job with this one, exactly what I was looking for in a pale ale!

Going to brew up another 5 gallons of this this weekend. We went through the last 10 gallons super fast and want this around for the beginning of the summer.

I am going to add another ounce of sweet orange peel this time to get a little more orange flavor out of it. I'll report back with the differences.

Going to brew up another 5 gallons of this this weekend. We went through the last 10 gallons super fast and want this around for the beginning of the summer.

I am going to add another ounce of sweet orange peel this time to get a little more orange flavor out of it. I'll report back with the differences.

Cool man. Glad it worked out for you.

Ended up brewing today. Ended at 1.058 and the fermenter is sitting in my chamber at 62 degrees. I wussed out and only added an extra half ounce of orange peel to it. Do you think I can dry hop the other 1/2 ounce if there isn't enough orange for my liking or will it just be a waste?

Made a beer inspired by this today. Used centennial instead of cascade. Also pitched 05 instead of 04. Smelled great. Hydro sample tasted like it has a lot of potential. This was only my second all grain recipe. I ended up with an OG of 1.052. Not great efficiency but I had a new pot and new tun to work with so I'm not gonna be too disappointed. No matter what, in a few weeks I'll have beer. Couldn't smell the orange at all but the coriander smelled nice with the centennial hops. Thanks for the inspiration. I probably should have made it to the recipe to begin with and then tweaked but I'm hard headed.

Almost ready to bottle. I got the FG down to 1.010 from 1.052. Mashed 150-152 with a few drops to 148, so that's about right I guess. Ran into some issues with diacetyl but I've gotten rid of almost all of that by putting a space heater in my fermenting closet set to 75 for the last three days. With the ounce of coriander plus the diacetyl it made for some funky popcorn flavors. I couldn't even taste the three ounces of centennial I put in. But now that the diacetyl is fading the hops are getting more prominent and it's shaping up to be a good beer. I may even drink a few before I move across the country in three weeks.

Has anybody had luck with this as a Saison / Belgian Pale? Noticed a bunch of comments throughout, but wasn't able to find the outcome.

I'm planning on sticking with the recipe almost as-is (plus I have a pound of cascade in my freezer), except wanted to sub a farmhouse/saison yeast that can safely ferment in my 74* ambient apartment.

IanJ said:
Has anybody had luck with this as a Saison / Belgian Pale? Noticed a bunch of comments throughout, but wasn't able to find the outcome.

I'm planning on sticking with the recipe almost as-is (plus I have a pound of cascade in my freezer), except wanted to sub a farmhouse/saison yeast that can safely ferment in my 74* ambient apartment.

I never bothered in the end. Turned out fine as the recipe stands anyways.

Ended up brewing today. Ended at 1.058 and the fermenter is sitting in my chamber at 62 degrees. I wussed out and only added an extra half ounce of orange peel to it. Do you think I can dry hop the other 1/2 ounce if there isn't enough orange for my liking or will it just be a waste?

Just started drinking this, the extra half ounce of orange is noticeable and helped out a little bit. Next time I will add the full ounce extra or maybe boil it for an extra 5 minutes to try to extract a little more orange from it.

If I end up making this in the fall time, i do think i may just leave out the orange and coriander as I think the base Pale Ale is so darn good as it sits!!

Just want to thank the OP again for this recipe as it was exactly what I was looking for in a pale ale and I have brewed up about 5 until i found this one. My search is over! :) Now on to finding the perfect Oatmeal Stout!

Just brewed this today. Got a bit low on the original gravity 1.048. Was dissapointed but the gravity sample was tasty. Looking forward to kegging it this week. Going to.skip the dry hop and see the results.

Just brewed this today. Got a bit low on the original gravity 1.048. Was dissapointed but the gravity sample was tasty. Looking forward to kegging it this week. Going to.skip the dry hop and see the results.

Why would you skip the dry hops? This brew really shines with the cascade dry hop. Adds so much more flavor to an awesome brew. Hope it still comes out well for you. Good thing is if you keg you can always throw an ounce into the keg for a change.

I know its just going to add hop aroma. Just wanting to slowly introduce my friends to hop in beer slowly. Thoughts?

I know its just going to add hop aroma. Just wanting to slowly introduce my friends to hop in beer slowly. Thoughts?

Well, I personally would not give up the dry hop as i feel it adds a lot. I see what you are trying to do, but the aroma of the hops may hide some of the bitterness and add to the overall flavor. But since I like the smell, flavor and bitterness of hops, I may be biased.

I'm a rookie AG brewer and I used this recipe to brew my first AG batch. I had some trouble with the Mash temperature on this one. It reached the 163 degree range for an extended period of time. What effect do you think this with have on my beer? I've read that it may lead to more unfermentable sugars, leading to a sweeter beer and a lower alcohol level. I don't plan on winning any awards with my 1st batch, but I hope this beer is still palatable. Has anyone else overshot the mash temp on this recipe?

Well, I personally would not give up the dry hop as i feel it adds a lot. I see what you are trying to do, but the aroma of the hops may hide some of the bitterness and add to the overall flavor. But since I like the smell, flavor and bitterness of hops, I may be biased.

Personally i am a huge hop head. Love hop aroma and such just scared of scaring off other with it. I am interested to see how the beer taste after ferm and such. Plus i might be a little ancy to get.my beer in a keg since i just got my supplies.

I was thinking about kegging after fermentation and then taste see if dry hop would give me what i am looking for.

Very pleased on hoe this turned out. I think I may add a wee bit morr hops at the begining and do the dry hop. But other then that a very solid beer! Very much apprrciate the recipe. I was skeptical at first but i will have this on rotation on my tsps forsure!!

ForumRunner_20130724_165920.png

Very pleased on hoe this turned out. I think I may add a wee bit morr hops at the begining and do the dry hop. But other then that a very solid beer! Very much apprrciate the recipe. I was skeptical at first but i will have this on rotation on my tsps forsure!!

Yeah, I can't brew enough of this. My last keg unfortunately emptied onto my floor due to a leaking party tap, so I am really itching to brew this again. Definitely going to do 10 gallons so that I can always have a keg on rotation.

You drink in the bathroom too? :) Saves getting up and down, that is for sure!

Glad you enjoyed it.

I like this recipe at the glance. I've been away for a while. (Is 5.5 years a while?) Anyway I used to brew ed's house pale as my go -to pale ale. I've brewed a lot of Ed's recipes: House pale, IPA, Kolsch, then Oktoberfest after as you're supposed too. I'm still a few months away from having the old brewery set up again, but I'm itchin to get goin. I want to give this try as it sounds superb! Have to get my house done then dig out all my equipment. Can't wait. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewing this as I type. This will be my second time and this time I'm using lhbs bought dried sweet orange peel. I actually think this will be better than when I did it with fresh zested orange peel.
Crushed the coriander a lil finer too.
Can't wait!!!

Brewing this as I type. This will be my second time and this time I'm using lhbs bought dried sweet orange peel. I actually think this will be better than when I did it with fresh zested orange peel.
Crushed the coriander a lil finer too.
Can't wait!!!

Awesome! How did it turn out?

I brewed this last weekend almost exact to the original recipe, except my LHBS was out of sweet orange peel so I used 1 oz. bitter orange and 1 oz. tangerine peel. OG 1.061. What do you think?

I brewed this last weekend almost exact to the original recipe, except my LHBS was out of sweet orange peel so I used 1 oz. bitter orange and 1 oz. tangerine peel. OG 1.061. What do you think?

I've don't one ounce of bitter and one ounce of sweet before and it was just as good. I honestly didn't taste much of a difference.

Latest posts

Back