Need some help with a grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

What is "Munich malt"? I know it's German based. There's a recipe I want to try that's no longer available from Northern Brewer (Keeler's Reverse Burster Altbier), so I'm going to get the grains from another supplier. One of the ingredients in the recipe is Munich Malt, but I can't find it on Brewmasters website. The closest I find to Munich is:

Caramel Munich
Weyerman Munich Type II
Gambrinus Dark Minuch
Briess Organic Munich 10

I'm guessing the Caramel Munich is the right choice, but wanted to make sure before I bought a bunch of it. I'm confused because it is the main ingredient in the recipe, but looking up Munich Malt in the wiki suggests it needs a base grain for better conversion.

Weyerman Munich II is a German Munich malt and well suited for brewing an Altbier. CaraMunich is crystal malt, not base malt. The Briess and Gambrinus Munich malts are domestic (North American) and are not the equal of German Munich IMO.

That Munich II is 10-12 L, they also have a Munich I which is ~6L. Besides Weyermann, Munich malt from Best and Durst are distributed in the US. Any decent HBS should have German Munich malt and I would expect all of the well known internet sellers to stock it.

Thanks. I found that link on a previous search. That's where I found the suggestion Munich Malt can convert itself but needs another base grain to convert other grains, hence the confusion on which "Munich" to order.

I haven't ordered my grains yet, so I guess I'll go with Munich II since both of you guys mentioned it in your posts. Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: Just placed my order. Looking forward to brewing this and a couple of other recipes I ordered.

Back