"calm" fermenting yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
do some yeasts ferment calmer and more steady than others?

i had an expired vial of antwerp ale WLP515 that i did a stepped up starter on. started with a 1.025-ish starter, then racked it up to 1.040. i pitched it sunday afternoon into a 1.051 wort. i checked it monday evening and the bubbler was going consistently but not violently and throwing off kreuzen like most strands i've used (nottingham, safeale 05 and 05). i checked it tuesday night, worried that i underpitched it. the gravity was 1.021, which seemed pretty good. checked it an hour ago and it's still chugging along nicely at an even pace. i did notice it throwing off a lot of sulfur smells, which is typical of the yeast according to the white labs website. also notable is i ended up with a little less worth than typical (probably 4.25-4.5 gallons for a 5 gallon bucket) so i had a little more head space than normal. i was wondering if it's possible that some yeasts are 'calmer' in their fermentation than others.

Some yeasts definitely are calmer that others, lager yeasts especially.

Actually the same yeasts can be calmer with no noticeable change in environment.

Yeast are weird but I still love them.

The temperature at which you ferment can have a big effect on how calm or violent the ferment becomes. I've come to expect a very slow bubbling from the airlock with temperatures in the low 60's.

I just did a Belgian Pale Ale with WLP515 that I purchased in February. I did make a starter based on what HomebrewDad's calculator recommended. I noticed that it didn't ferment as violently as other yeasts I've used. It finished in a reasonable time and produced a great beer. I think you'll be fine.

Back