Force Carbonation with Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicegirl

Reaction score
I've got a problem that is just stumping me to no end. I have kegged and bottled four batches of beer to date. I am force carbonating using 0.5 micron carbonation stone that is attached to a vinyl hose and a keg carbonation lid for the keg. I always chill my beer down to about 34° F. and use the many carbonation charts that are available to set the appropriate carbonation level for the type of beer.
I start out about 4 P.S.I. under the needed carbonation volume and adjust the pressure up by 2 lb's every two hour until I reach the recommended carbonation level. I leave the keg with the CO2 attached and on in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning I tap the keg and pour a small sample which in every case seems to be carbonated quite nicely.
I use a counter pressure bottle filler to then bottle the beer for general distribution. I'm filling at the same pressure I carbonated at and am capping the bottles to foam.
The problem is that the bottled beer is never carbonated to the same volume level as it was in the keg and is much flatter. The last beer, which was a wheat beer, I even over carbonated slightly and still had the same problem. Any ideas out there as to what the problem might be? Your assistance is greatly needed as I'm going to be bottling my Marzen lager this weekend and after waiting almost two months for it I most certainly don't want to mess it up.

Back