Calculating Required Amperage For Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going with the 120mm ThermalTake desk fan for my stir plate build. Four identical ones, to be exact. The rheostat comes pre-wired and it uses USB for power in. I know it's going to cost me a few dollars more per stir plate, but it's worth it to save my sanity. :)

My confusion stems from the fact that the fan has a voltage, amperage and wattage specified, but the USB A/C adapters come only with mAh ratings. The problem I've having is interpreting the specs to know how large on a wall wort I need to power it. It's been a while since college Physics. :p

61yPNzhKXNL.jpg

Do either of these options provide enough power?

1- All four one 4-port wAC adapter (rated 500 mAh each port) - $10 shipped.
2- All four on separate 1-port iPhone AC adapters (rated 1000 mAh each adapater) - $2.50 ea shipped.

Do you have links for the AC adapters you're looking at? mAh (milliamp-hours) is an energy spec (usually seen more with battery packs and such). It doesn't make sense in terms of power. If it's really mA (milliamps, not milliamp-hours) then either is fine since this fan only draws 300mA max.

Do you have links for the AC adapters you're looking at? mAh (milliamp-hours) is an energy spec (usually seen more with battery packs and such). It doesn't make sense in terms of power. If it's really mA (milliamps, not milliamp-hours) then either is fine since this fan only draws 300mA max.

Ugh. You're right. Just looked at a few models again. I read it too fast and through it said mAh, and that's why I was getting super confused. I could have swore that mAh was a unit of capacity.

1A 5V (iPhone white style) 1-port $2.44 ea shipped - eBay
1A 5V (iPhone black style) 1-port $3.69 ea shipped - eBay
1A 5V (Kodak style) 1-port $2.25 ea shipped - eBay

2.1A 5V 4-port $7.59 shipped - eBay (simultaneous 2.1A, assuming each port is 500mA because they didn't specify)
2.1A 5V 4-port $11.73 shipped - eBay (1 port is up to 2.1A, the others seem to be 500mA, total output is 2.1A simultaneous)

There's many others. But I haven't yet seen one under $20 that gives more than 2.1A total output.

Went with 5 of the black iPhone chargers for under $20 shipped. I figure I can use a power strip, and that way if I don't end up putting them all on the same table, no worries.

Latest posts

Back