Anyone tried this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chigger62

Reaction score
Found this recipe in an easy rider magazine of all places. Is just simply gallon of water, 3lbs clover honey and a packet of yeast. Ferment in a gallon jug with an air-lock, rack it into another gallon jug, then bottle. Left out times just for speed of typing, lol. Am new to any type of brewing and thought a bought trying this just for fun.

And it would likely get stuck and end up sicky sweet because of lack of nutrients, or have off/ yeasty flavors from the unhealthy yeast. Even old recipes call for throwing in a crust of bread for nutrients.

if all you have is bread yeast, I would boil some bread yeast and a handful of raisins (this shouldn't impart flavor if you don't like raisins) to use as nutrient, it may help them a bit. My first mead turned out fine. It was very sweet. and a similar process to this but I used a wine yeast.

Speaking from a prepper/survivalist perspective, would that produce a product worthy to use as barter? What else could I do to modify this inexpensively, being that this recipe is so easy to follow and takes little prep? I've seen threads about "washing" your yeast. Would this also work with a mead recipe?

Speaking from a prepper/survivalist perspective, would that produce a product worthy to use as barter? What else could I do to modify this inexpensively, being that this recipe is so easy to follow and takes little prep? I've seen threads about "washing" your yeast. Would this also work with a mead recipe?

Ah, I see you're preparing for the coming zombie apocalypse! Well in that case I'd use beer as a currency, since it takes much less time to age and has universal appeal. Plus it's cheaper to do a batch than mead. I read an article in 'Cottage Life Magazine', stating that beer would be the new currency if civilization ever fell, and I'm sure it's at least as scientific as those Cosmo articles.

Incidentally, I believe yeast washing is done for beer making for the purpose of washing the hop flavour off the yeast (I think). Without hops there is no need, so if you're going to make batch after batch of mead, you may be able to bottle a batch, and then pour a fresh batch on top of the old yeast cake for a second brew cycle. I've heard some people do that for beer, though I'm not sure how lengthy their brew periods are, or if it makes any difference...

Yeast washing is to separate the trub (break proteins, hop material and dead yeast) from the viable yeast. It does remove some of the hop flavor, but I will tell you for sure that a starter made from washed yeast will still have some hop aroma/flavor...bear in mind you're diluting this into 5 gallons (or more), so it's negligible...

The issue with re-using yeast with mead is the ABV. My understanding is that re-using yeast from a brew greater than 7-8% ABV runs the risk of introducing off flavors because of yeast mutation...this probably varies by strain though, and I would bet that some strains could probably be more safely and reliably be re-used than others, but I'm sure not able to tell you which ones.

Regardless, in an apocalypse situation, I'd reuse the yeast!

no to go off topic, If I was in a full blown apocalypse I wouldn't want anything to do with alcohol as it dehydrates you, and you're wasting water to make it!

Dude... If it's a zombie apocalypse, just how long do you WANT to live?

Eventually you're going to need that last bullet. I'm just sayin'

As long as possible? I'm not ready to die, whether its full of zombies or not. But being some crazy zombie killing hermit in the woods who sells boos for supplies might be interesting... But raiders.

no to go off topic, If I was in a full blown apocalypse I wouldn't want anything to do with alcohol as it dehydrates you, and you're wasting water to make it!

What?! Wasting water?! Don't forget, beer is liquid bread...half the reason humans started brewing was to preserve calories for storage, the other half was because of water quality issues!

(The owner of my LHBS has the following as the signature on his e-mails, and it's prominently displayed on their website:
In beer there is strength.
In wine there is wisdom.
In water, there is bacteria...you decide!)

Maybe it wasn't half and half...maybe 49 and 49...the other 2% was to have a little escape and release...

What?! Wasting water?! Don't forget, beer is liquid bread...half the reason humans started brewing was to preserve calories for storage, the other half was because of water quality issues!

Have to agree here. unless you want some elaborate distilling method that works in all seasons without wasting energy, bottling beer for the winter is a great way to get your num nums. Vikings did it, and those monks too. I believe lent meant giving up food, but they were still drinking really really dark beer to stay functional.

Plus a beer at 7% ABV would not really dehydrate you the same was as mead. Sell the mead to the other survivors and take their stuff when they dry out! And as a currency, it's more as a luxury item, which many may choose not to purchase. Beer=food= calories for getting work done (like outrunning zombies provided you're not drunk)

Back