What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got started on my e-bay aquarium temp controller fermentation chamber.

This beast can hold some brew!(20 dollar Craigslist score)
2013-03-30194553_zps0a5f1eae.jpg

2013-04-05151041_zpsbc88f87d.jpg

Kegged up my Simcoe/Amarillo IPA and tested out my new carbonator cap (I need some more practice with this doohickey), also stopped by the LHBS for keg lube and grains to brew BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde.

Went to Walmart and cleaned them out on filter cartridges and picked up another housing. They are switching suppliers at ours and everything was on clearance. DIRT CHEAP

Made some light crystal malt from a pound if 2row. I'm thinking of testing it out on my first all grain batch of centennial blonde in a couple of weeks.

Just placed a monster order at Farmhouse for my next 6 batches. Later today I will get the starter going for a wee heavy.

Picked up a sack of 2 row, a sack of marris otter, and a lb of willamette. Couple of vials of yeast too My brew budget for this week just expired.

Toasting some chocolate and some golden now.

Brewing with swmbo tonight.

Got my 2nd fermenter soaked clean & drained into my home depot bucket to in turn dump into the bottling bucket for an hour or so. Then drain that & rinse both. Gotta hope it's warm enough to fix the car tomorrow,dang cold concrete. Then I can go pick up the last tax papers to get that done,& 6G of local spring water for my next PM,a NZ IPA.

Brewed 5.5 gallons of a new pale ale recipe I put together. Cleaned a bunch of brew related gear.... Drank a lot of home brew.....read the rest of the newest zymurgy.

Finished cleaning a keg that I had soaking in Oxy, including removing the post, poppets, and tubes for a good soak. I also finished putting up new lines for my second year hops (Cascade, Chinook, and Brewer's Gold (gift from my non-brewer daughter)). A couple of the plants already have bines over two feet so I figured it was time to get them off the ground. I also cut back a number of the smaller bines. If I get any energy I may weigh out grains and hops for a brew I plan to do in the next day or so.

Today I bottled 2 cases of Saison and 2 cases of Janet's Brown Ale. Then I brewed 5.75 gals of BierMunchers Cream of three crops, and 5.9 gallons of an APA. Was a good brew day.

10.5 hour session, starting with a trip to the home-brew shop that just opened near me today. I was their first ever customer, picked up 10lbs Maris Otter, 3oz Cascade, a sachet of Nottingham dry yeast and commenced brewing. Got 87% efficiency (for the moment they're crushing manually with a Corona mill!)

While the Maris Otter SMaSH was chilling I bottled up 5 gallons of Simcoe/Citra IPA that I brewed 2 weeks ago, absolutely unreal amount of passionfruit aroma. I can't wait for it to carb up. I'm 90% done with my cleanup from the combination brew/bottling day, time for dinner.

Tricked a friend into trying my homebrew. He always said he'd never drink something someone made at home. After three pints, he said he loved it, drank for more, and went home with a twelve pack.

Picked up my first ever 50# bag of Briess 2-row. Now all I need is a completed Monster Mill and I'll actually be able to make use of it. :D

Brewed a Popcorn Pils, cultivated some Conan, removed straw from hop bed, and prepared hop bed for its two newest residents: centennial and chinook.

Kegged 5 gallons of my own IPA; cleaned the fermentor and other equipment; tapped a keg of Yooper's Ruination clone and am enjoying it with a smile as I type.

I also am soaking some bottles, and I will bottle my RIS that has been bulk aging since the beginning of January.

Bottled bíere de garde, racked black Bretty onto 9 more pounds wild blackberries, cleaned a lot. Yesterday dry hopped farmhouse esb with a little EKG and funky rhubarb beer with a lot of mosaic.

Made/making some Crystal malt

Before
20130407_144624_Hagrid.jpg

During the soak
20130407_144640_Hagrid1.jpg

Whole grain mash
20130407_165054_Hagrid1.jpg

Drying
20130407_192137.jpg

After toasting.
20130407_224612_Hagrid.jpg

Left to right, chocolate 2 row, Amber crystal, pale 2 row.
20130407_232919_Hagrid.jpg

Just steeped in water heated with my coffee pot (184f) I know that the chocolate and the 2 row need to be mashed to accomplish anything. Still a fun little side by side.

Bumped up the temp on my Belgian IPA, put my Saison on CO2, and relearned that it's important to make sure a keg is COMPLETELY degassed before unscrewing the liquid out post.

Brewed up a quick BIAB Extra Special Bitter that I'll bottle in about 10 days and let age about 3 months since I'll be out of the country - should be very nice by then.

Cheers!

Added some finishing touches to my Imperial Red label. It still needs ABV and IBU notes, but I figure I'll add them afterward. It's a crazy recipe, so I'm not sure what'll happen. This will be the first time I make it all-grain.

Sat and watched the bubbler airlock on my latest batch rock out, and put some bottles in Oxyclean to soak.

Cold-crashed my SMaSH; bottled one of my originals for a competition in La Crosse (going out on Friday); bought a sample pack of Chimay, complete with a chalice.

Tapped my witty jester

Had some friends over to drink some home brews and watch the game

Quick drank many of my friends over primed ciders to prevent bottle bombs.

(and if we succeeded, his wife just might let him keep brewing.)

mike_in_ak said:
Quick drank many of my friends over primed ciders to prevent bottle bombs.

(and if we succeeded, his wife just might let him keep brewing.)

Now that has GOT to be worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize right?

I take that back, I asked my wife to make sure there was no Brown stuff in my airlock.

Latest posts

Back