Improving Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
Well Hello there Hop Heads...In my quest to improve my brewing skills, I finelly found a small regulator for those disposable 02 tanks (burnzomatic), question, do I need to pump this thru a hepa filter just as I would with an aquarium pump?....or should I just let her rip with a stone?....thankx....Tom

Hey Tom,

That's a great question. While I would THINK you'd be okay just going straight through tubing into a stone, I personally still always use a filter. These filters work great inline, and can be used over and over again. We're expecting them back in stock within a week or so hopefully (supplier ran out..). For $5, I wouldn't risk my batch of beer :)

Cheers!

Jipper said:
Hey Tom,

That's a great question. While I would THINK you'd be okay just going straight through tubing into a stone, I personally still always use a filter. These filters work great inline, and can be used over and over again. We're expecting them back in stock within a week or so hopefully (supplier ran out..). For $5, I wouldn't risk my batch of beer :)

Cheers!

They have hem at the same price from my local lhbs and they work great. Just don't get them wet, and label the "dirty in" and "sanitary out" with a sharpy.

Also, if you're paying for disposable o2 tanks you should consider getting an aeration stone. You'll get more absorption that way. I don't use one, but I also own a c-concentrator.

I cant find the you-tube video of the yeast vendor talking about aeration. From what I can recall, he said if you don't have a stone you can just fill the top of the carboy up with O2 and shake the hell out of it. I use a stone, because I don't feel like shaking carboys at the end of the brew day.

thank you for the repiles...and yes a stone is in my future, the disposable bottles go for 10.00, and the regulator 20.00...and I have a spare racking cane ...at this point I am wondering if a regular aquarium stone will work?...Thankx Tom

thank you for the repiles...and yes a stone is in my future, the disposable bottles go for 10.00, and the regulator 20.00...and I have a spare racking cane ...at this point I am wondering if a regular aquarium stone will work?...Thankx Tom

The 0.5 micron stainless stone has worked best for me. I only tried the aquarium stone once and didn't use it a second time due to the bubbles being too large.

IMO, you don't need a filter when using O2 like you do with pumping air.

The aquarium stone (at least the ones I have) seem like an infection waiting to happen. I'd avoid that and go for the real deal. Besides, you can boil the crap out of a stainless stone.

You don't need a filter. Those industrial O2 tanks are 99.5% pure... which is actually slightly more pure than medical oxygen.

I've been using the same set up with a .5 micron stone for over a year now (15 or so batches) and haven't used a filter and I haven't had any issues so far.

Well thankx for the replies....I was at the local home brew shop and grabbed one of those .05 micron ss diffusion stone...and just today my regulator came, 20.00 online ...cant wait to see how high I can get those yeasties on pure 02....

By the way, those disposable bottles last a lot longer than you'd think. I bought 2 last March and I'm still on the first one and, as I said above, I've done probably 15 5 gallon batches since then.

Also, the barb on the regulator is not the same size as the barb on the diffusion stone. At least not on mine. I had to cut a small piece of tubing that fits the regulator barb and then slide the tubing that fits the stone over that.

Back