Better Bottle Defect or Manufacturing Mark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthebugman

Reaction score
In a recent order from NB I got a 5 gal Better Bottle so I can start doing fun things with secondary fermentation. It arrived and when I unpacked it I noticed there was a weird squiggle/pucker looking area in the plastic. Not sure how to explain it other than that and it doesn't seem I can post pics so probably hard to visualize. Little concerned about this possibly being a source of infection. So I e-mailed NB about it, sent them some pics and they just ended up replacing it. Great customer service. So the new one arrives yesterday. I unpack it and same squiggle/pucker looking area in the plastic, but in a different spot on the carboy. So I think it may just be a mark from the manufacturing process except I checked out a friend's last night while I was at his house picking up my brew kettle and his is pristine...no squiggle/pucker mark.

So here I am at a cross roads. I don't want to be a pain about something that isn't going to be an issue (like if it's a manufacturing mark and isn't going to affect my beer), but I have some concerns about potential to negatively impact my beer. This afternoon I poured some StarSan into one of the Better Bottles and swished it around pretty good then watched as the suds slid down the side. They seemed to snag a little on the squiggle/pucker mark which to me indicates that there's a rough point that might pose a problem.

I pose my conundrum to you more experienced and possibly less paranoid folk. Has anyone had a strange looking area on their Better Bottle when they got it and if so did you use it? Am I just freaking out for no reason and as long as I take normal cleaning/sanitation measures it'll probably be all right? Should I contact NB again about the issue?

Dan

The easiest way to post pictures is to get a photobucket account and upload them there. Once uploaded, photobucket provides a link to post here so we can see your picture.

As for your question, I've never used one but I cannot imagine that it would affect the beer at all.

I worked at Midwest for a year and saw a lot of them like that. Almost looks like the plastic sagged a bit in one spot. Unless it's way worse than I'm used to where it's creating crevices you'll be just fine.

Thanks for responding. I'm going to be brewing my next batch this weekend probably and I'll see how it goes.

Dan

If they'll replace it, then I'd return it. Bad quality control is bad quality control - no reason you should have to take the hit for it (or ruin a batch because of it)

Back