Same wort, different yeast, one blow off container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I often brew 10 gallons of wort and ferment in two carboys with both blowoff tubes going into the same growler filled with starsan.

On my most recent brew I decided to experiment by fermenting each 5 gallons the APA wort with different yeast strains (S-05 and WLP 002).

How big is the risk that the yeast can "cross contaminate" between batches by sharing the common blowoff vessel? I got to think it is pretty low as it would have to survive the swim in the sanitizer and then make it up the blowoff tube that is discharging Co2. Also these beers havent seen excessive krausen causing yeast to actually enter the blowoff tube.

At this point I am going to let it ride as I think the yeasts will remain contained in their respective fermenting vessel and even if the yeast became a blend I would expect minimal effects from the "minority" yeast.

If anything the yeast would only mix in your growler. Very difficult to imagine the yeast being sucked back up the blow off tube from the opposite carboy.

Mouse

Back