Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hossdcop

Reaction score
I just brewed two different all grain beers. Within about 10 hours the yeast was going nuts and the carboys were bubbling away. The temp was around 74 degrees. I turned it down to around 65 and now 30 hours later there does not seem to be any activity at all. Is this pretty normal? Should I raise the Temperature? Any help would be great.

What yeast are you using? I would probably just let it go, the fermenting temp is a few degrees warmer than your ambient temp so you are ok there.

As long as 65 is the range for the yeast you are using, don't touch a thing. Otherwise rasie the temp into that range.

There is still not much happening in the carboy. There's a large amount o gunk around the top of the carboy where the beer was bubbling. Since I used a dry yeast, withou a starter, is there a chance a large amount of it is suspended in the gunk?

So I racked the beers today and found they Re right on track. Maybe a little low, but well within limits. Ad I sneaked a small taste for both. Very yummy.

There is still not much happening in the carboy. There's a large amount o gunk around the top of the carboy where the beer was bubbling. Since I used a dry yeast, withou a starter, is there a chance a large amount of it is suspended in the gunk?

Sounds like you're doing fine. Leave it alone for the duration.

BTW- you shouldn't do a starter with dry yeast. Rehydrating it in sterile 100*F tap water is a good practice though.

Back