"Bulkhead" Fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Speidel fermenter. Great piece of equipment.. however, I'd like to add a temp probe to the mix and I don't really see a way to do it.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of a small SS w/o-ring type fitting that would allow me to slide in a long stem thermometer from the top (or side) and torque down a compression nut to keep everything in place..

I think I saw something like this on a brewing website.. but, have not a clue how to search for one in McMaster.

Oh, and I'm sure I could go with the expensive method of using a Blichman type bulkhead.. but, I'm really looking to use one of those long stemmed brewing thermometers that have a skinny probe that's about 12-14" long.

What kind of thermometer do you want to use, analog or digital?

This would work for any digital probe: http://brewhardware.com/thermometers/153-probecompression2 (option 4 in the dropdown) but you'd want to take it apart to clean it well between uses.

For something more sanitary, I have thermowells where the threaded bushing is actually reversed. In other words, the threads and nut sit outside the vessel and the only thing inside is a hex and gasket. These are not on the site at the moment but the price is the same. http://brewhardware.com/thermometers/174-thermowells
Just picture the 1/4" threaded bushing flipped around...

thermowell.png

Bobby.. at this time I wasn't thinking of a thermowell. I was really hoping to find a fitting that would allow me to insert a long analog probe into the wort.. The bulkhead would be simply a hex flange and a nut that squeezes an o-ring to form a tight seal around the probe.

A thermowell may well be the best answer because, at some point, I'll probably want to insert a digital probe connected to a controller.. but, I'm not that sophisticated yet :(

The other aspect would be to have the probe in contact with the wort rather than having an air gap (between the thermowell and the probe) involved. Either way, I'm sure they would both be more accurate than the stick on on the outside of my FV.

Back