Built in vs freestanding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakfastbrew

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a small project I am starting and I am looking to install 2 beverage fridges and a small kegerator at my new house.
I have and area that is sandwiched between two closets. So it goes closet, 48"w x 36"d then closet again. I want to make the 48 x36 area have two built in glass beverage fridges under the counter top. And place a kegerator in the closet and have the lines come out the wall above the counter top.
So here is the part I am struggling with do the beverage centers have to be built ins that dump the heat out the front or can I get away with the much cheaper freestanding. My worry is the freestanding will pop the breaker due to heat building up in the rear. Would a couple holes into the adjacent closets give enough air to breath or do I really need to just get the built in style?

Thanks

It's good that you're thinking about the heat buildup ahead of time. I'd get a unit that dumped the heat to the front; a few holes isn't likely to do much to help create the air circulation that you need--furthermore, as closets they presumably don't have much in the way of free airflow anyway, plus one will have a kegerator in it.

Back