Building a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy4Life

Reaction score
Hey there all, I've been looking around for a while and have been interested in building a dedicated location on my property specifically for brewing. I know that several people on this site have done this, and many more would like to. My question is this, If you were going to do this what would you make sure were in the plans to make this the best place you could possibly make for homebrewing? I just don't want forget something in the design process and regret it later making it difficult for a retrofit etc. I live in Wa state and there is a chance that this could become more than just a hobby. So, for any of the pros in Wa are there any specifics that would pertain to going pro in this building as well?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Cheers.
Max

Best possible? Well if you want to go pro you should be building a pilot system. You'll need to select your batch size first then go from there. I'd go 1/2 barrel with 30 g kettles.
1 glycol unit
3+ brewers hardware conical fermenters set up with chill coils/ cip / tri clamp.
2 chugger/ march pumps 3/4 inlet or greater.
80-120 amp service
Small walk in fridge.
Small lab with -20c freezer and microscope.
Ph meter
RO filter set up with 55 brim for storage
3 compartment sink with sprayer.
Floor drain
Separate barrel room
Separate grain room with grist hydration and 3 roller motorized mill
2x20# co2 tanks
20 kegs
5 tap tasting space.
Washroom

And a bed cause your wife is gonna kick you out!

Top 20 things to consider at any size (not in any order):

1. proper ventilation
2. restroom,
3. HVAC system,
4. Water and water treatment
5. wastewater and other
6. Grain storage
7. temp controlled product storage
8. Serving area
9. Production area
10. yeast lab
11. office
12. Parking, including space for food trucks
13. properly sized utilities
14. Insurance
15. Fed and State permits
16. zoning
17. two loading docks
18. Lots of stainless steel stuff
19. lots of money
20. prozac

:mug:

That said...what size will you start at and what size do you consider Pro. The home brew house could be designed to be added onto or end up being a detached something or other with the pro shop to the side. In other words consider where the future main building will be and put the brew shack off to the side.

A good start, thanks. For the most part I'm mostly considering the building right now. I currently have a 20 gal system, 3 pumps, 2 27 gal conical and 2 14 gal conical. I use propane and will probably get a dedicated tank. I have been considering electric so want to put enough proper circuits in when building the facility.

Every time I brew I write down my wants. Like right now I want a switched outlet by sink for my cleaning pump, a few camlocks to replace the ones that don't fit right, and get my conical fermenters set up on glycol. When something is on there a lot I try to pursue those first. Some times their easy cheap things like a brewery usb phone charger. I find it helps to write down the wants when brewing for things that will really help or make life easier.

If you go pro the odds of brewing at home diminish incredibly fast. You'll already be doing it for a living and if you own it you won't have any free time. So if you do build a dream setup for homebrewing what would you do with the building later? Home bar?

I have a 20 G system and have been converting parts of my garage which has an extension. We plumbed in water and sewer so I have a commercial 3 basin sink. Walk in cold room and I'm working g now on a glycol system for chilling my conicals down. Lots of storage, upright freezer, my own mill and more power to run everything. I have zero intentions of going pro but I want a pro level pilot brewery setup. Working on an RO system for my brewing water as well.

I wish I had a urinal but the backyard shrubs work just fine.

Back