Brown vs mild malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I’m planning a Vienna lager clone that calls for 8oz mild malt (5g batch). I don’t have that but I do have brown malt and extra Munich II. Would either of those be a suitable substitute for the mild? Rest of the bill is 4.5lb both Vienna and Pilsner and 8oz c40. Thanks for any advice.

Mild malt seems an odd ingredient for a Vienna. Brown malt would be too dark and roasty IMO. I'd just add another 8 oz of Vienna malt.

Thank you, Good to know. It’s listed as an ingredient in a SA Boston lager clone.

FWIW, Boston Lager is actually nothing but 2 row and 5% caramel/crystal 60L.

Also good to know. Being my first attempt at the style, how does the recipe look?
AED9BEEE-2A1D-4D71-B81D-136359BFC570.png

Thank you, Good to know. It’s listed as an ingredient in a SA Boston lager clone.

Boston lager is not a Vienna. I know you see it listed that way all the time and I'm probably fighting a losing battle but it is not a Vienna beer. If anything Boston lager is a German Pils with crystal malt coloring. BTW that's a lousy clone recipe for Sam lager. It might make a good beer but Robert65 is 100% right, Sam is pale malt, some crystal, and lots of German hops. An actual Vienna is Vienna malt and some modest German hops. Mini rant over, enjoy your beer. Cheers

Back