3 C's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC_Robertson

Reaction score
Here's my attempt at a 3 C's IPA. I'm going to use Cascade, Centennial and Columbus. Here's the recipe:

6# Golden LME
3.3# Amber LME
8oz Crystal 40L
8oz Carapils

.5oz Columbus (12.2) FWH
.5oz Columbus 60'
1oz Cascade (6) 20'
1oz Centennial (9.2) 20'
1oz Cascade 5'
1oz Centennial 5'
1oz Cascade 0'
1oz Centennial 0'
1oz Cascade dry hop
1oz Centennial dry hop

American Ale yeast from local brewery.

Please critique and let me know what you all think! Thanks in advance.

I'd cut the crystal and carapils in half. You already have some in the Amber LME.

I'd add a pound of table sugar to knock a couple of points off the FG (IPAs should be somewhat dryer than APAs.

Move the 20 minute additions too 15.

Calder said:
I'd add a pound of table sugar to knock a couple of points off the FG (IPAs should be somewhat dryer than APAs.

Thanks for the tips. I've actually decided to go AG and just use 10lbs of Pale Ale malt. Do I go ahead and keep my cara and crystal at 8 oz or cut them in half? Do I still add a pound of table sugar? When do I add the sugar?

Thanks in advance!

Leave the crystal and cara, mash low (about 150), and do not add any extra sugar.

Thanks Calder! I had a friend recommend throwing some victory malt in as well for an IPA. Thoughts?

I know you decided to go all grain on this one, but for kicks I'll add that I always use the lightest LME/DME I can find for the entire extract portion of my beers (except for Wheat beers). I then use steeping grains for the colors and flavors.

When I first started brewing I used to use Amber and dark LME/DME's. But I've found that the color and flavor to be a bit more controllable (for me anyways) using the Light LME/DME eclusively.

Gary

Back