Brooklyn Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahlinux

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew a 10 gallon clone of Brooklyn Lager using the recipe from "The Brew Your Own Big Book Of Clone Recipes". Has anyone brewed this recipe before? I really enjoy the beer and would like to get some feedback on it. This is the recipe from the book:

5 Gallons
OG 1.052
FG 1.012
IBU 30
SRM 13
ABV 5.2%

9.6 lb 2-Row Pale malt
14 oz Munich malt (10 L)
11 oz Caramel Malt (60 L)

1 oz Willamette (75 min)
0.45 oz Vanguard (35 min)
0.33 oz Cascade (35 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (2 min)
0.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (2 min)
0.5 oz Saphir (2 min)

1.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Dry Hop)
0.75 oz Cascade (Dry Hop)

I’ll be mashing in at 156 F based on this post: http://brooklynbrewery.com/blog/ask-a-brewer/ask-a-brewer-mar-6/

I plan on using SafLager W-34/70 yeast.

After putting this into BeerSmith and accounting for the AA of the hops the IBUs are way off. Still debating on whether to reduce them. Also the SRM is a lot lower then whats in the recipe.

What hops did you use? Was the grain bill the same?

I tried chasing this down a while back but only brewed one batch. I was in the neighborhood but not the same ballpark. This was the clone attempt that made me start paying attention to water profile. Anyway...

I just looked at their website and noticed the hop list they give only shows Cascade and Hallertauer Mittelfrueh. When I attempted this months ago, it listed at least 5 hops. Vanguard, Ahtanum, Saphir were there off the top of my head. I have notes.
I noticed it was a different hop list that given elsewhere in clone recipes. I guess they switch it up from year to year.

I used the same grain bill you have there.
I also used 34/70.

Some more info here:

http://brooklynbrewery.com/brooklyn-beers/perennial-brews/brooklyn-lager

http://brooklynbrewery.com/blog/ask-a-brewer/ask-a-brewer-mar-6/

https://byo.com/recipe/brooklyn-brewery-brooklyn-lager-clone/#

Report back with results. I’ve been meaning to run this again and would love to hear your impressions. I really enjoy this beer.

The recipe in the original post is the real recipe from the real brewery, consistent with what I have here in my notes. The recipe must have been put in BYO magazine at some point in history, that's where I get most of my recipes from.

It appears the hop additions have likely evolved over time. The recipe I've got is consistent with the OP with the 5 hops there. With some hops harder to come by, maybe they've gone down to just a couple additions to keep it simpler with no real flavor effects.

I brewed the recipe in the original post yesterday, 12.5 Gal batch. The pre-boil gravity was initially high (1.054 instead of 1.047) so I used BeerSmith to adjust the gravity down to 1.047. The program called for adding two gals of water, after making the adjustment the gravity was 1.046. This was my first time attempting to adjust the pre-boil gravity. Next time I will go a little lighter on the water called for by the program. After the 75 minute boil the O.G. came in at 1.050. It was a little low, should have been 1.053. I ended up adjusting the IBUs to 34. I rehydrated two packs of SafLager W-34/70 for one fermenter and just sprinkled two packs into the second fermenter. Lots of airlock activity on both less than 24 hrs later. I'm fermenting at 65F. I've read some great articles on Brülosophy about fermenting lagers warm so I'm giving it a try.

I used the following water profile: Ca 76 | Mg 3 | Na 11 | SO4 84 | Cl 70 | HCO3 40 (Copied it from this Brülosophy post.)

I'll keep updating this thread with the results.

Last edited:
fullsizeoutput_100a.jpeg
Just kegged the lager two days ago and sampled it. Burst carbonated at 42psi for 24 hrs, no gelatin. I'm using the "Clear Beer Draught System". Still very cloudy. Not even close to Brooklyn Lager! Tastes like a bitter Pale Ale. I realize this beer is still very young and it needs to lager for a while, but I don't see it ever coming close to the real thing. I must have done something very wrong on this one.

I'm planning on giving this one a another go.

Brooklyn Brewery's website claims 5.2% ABV and 13* Plato which works out to ~1.0526 SG.
BYO's recipe and the Brooklyn Brewery blog call for a mash temp of 156*F or more.

With my system, reducing that grain bill a bit gives me 1.054 SG.
- 9 lbs American 2 row malt
- 14 ozs Munich malt
- 11 ozs 60 L Caramel malt

BeerSmith tells me that 1.054 SG and 156*F result in 5.0% ABV.
I'll be mashing at 153*F for 5.3% ABV.

Hops will be limited to Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and Cascade per the current website. 60, 20, 2 and dry hop.

Water will be another change for me this time. Instead of tap water and blind enthusiasm, I'll be prescribing:
Calcium: 70ppm
Magnesium: 18ppm
Sodium: 19ppm
Sulfate: 165ppm
Chloride: 75ppm
mash pH: 5.4

I'm planning on giving this one a another go.

Brooklyn Brewery's website claims 5.2% ABV and 13* Plato which works out to ~1.0526 SG.
BYO's recipe and the Brooklyn Brewery blog call for a mash temp of 156*F or more.

With my system, reducing that grain bill a bit gives me 1.054 SG.
- 9 lbs American 2 row malt
- 14 ozs Munich malt
- 11 ozs 60 L Caramel malt

BeerSmith tells me that 1.054 SG and 156*F result in 5.0% ABV.
I'll be mashing at 153*F for 5.3% ABV.

Hops will be limited to Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and Cascade per the current website. 60, 20, 2 and dry hop.

Water will be another change for me this time. Instead of tap water and blind enthusiasm, I'll be prescribing:
Calcium: 70ppm
Magnesium: 18ppm
Sodium: 19ppm
Sulfate: 165ppm
Chloride: 75ppm
mash pH: 5.4
What SRM and IBUs are you shooting for? Mine came out way too bitter and not dark enough. It also needs more malt character.

Last time I brewed this, I was shooting for 9 SRM and it matched the color of the real thing exactly. Different grist through:
- 6 lbs 10 ozs American 2 row malt
- 1 lbs 2 ozs Munich malt
- 14 ozs 45 L Caramel malt

This time, I wanted to stay closer to what the blog says.
BeerSmith says my current grist should make 8 SRM, but I will be boiling for 90 minutes, instead of 60 like the first go around. Maybe I'll get a little extra color from the longer boil?

First brew, I was aiming for 30 IBU. In my opinion, it was more bitter than the real thing. I'm going for 27 IBU this time.

15 IBU @ 60min Hallertauer M.

5 IBU @ 20min Hallertauer M.
5 IBU @ 20min Cascade

0.5 IBU @ 2min Hallertauer M.
1.5 IBU @ 2min Cascade

20g dry hop Hallertauer M.
10g dry hop Cascade

FunkedOut keep us updated on your brew.

Last edited:
today is brew day!

had to call an audible right up front...
I had no 2-row pale malt, so my grain bill looks like this:

- 6 lbs Pilsner malt (Weyermann)
- 3 lbs Pale Ale malt (Crisp Best Ale)
- 14 ozs Munich malt (Briess 10L)
- 11 ozs 60 L Caramel malt (Briess)

BeerSmith says this'll be 7.8 SRM and 1.054 OG.
mashed in a little low (147*F) but the RIMS got it up to 153*F in about 10 minutes.

Pre-boil gravity ended up at 1.047. BeerSmith predicted 1.043. If that reading is right, I managed 94% mash/lauter efficiency.

90 minute boil is underway; just added the bittering charge at 60min.

Got a new plan for dry hop...

I just brewed a Märzen today. Recipe came from “Brewing Classic Styles”. Sure hope it comes out better then my Brooklyn Lager clone. The Brooklyn Lager bitterness has mellowed out, but the beer has no body.

OG came in at 1.058.
I pitched WLP940 at 50*F and kept it there for 5 days.
Now raised it up to 55*F until it gets close to the FG.

I plan to dry hop during the D-rest (65*F) for a couple days, then cold crash, fine with gelatin and rack.

I'm fermenting in a 10 gallon keg, with the hop sock inside, hanging above the beer.
(pics here)

Racked to a keg this past weekend. The hydro sample was delicious and had a very strong hop aroma.

The dry hop plan worked out well. Managed to to have full carbonation this time, at racking time.

It's sitting at 34*F for a couple weeks until I can open up a tap.

Racked to a keg this past weekend. The hydro sample was delicious and had a very strong hop aroma.

The dry hop plan worked out well. Managed to to have full carbonation this time, at racking time.

It's sitting at 34*F for a couple weeks until I can open up a tap.

Be sure to post a picture when you tap the keg. Interested in you impressions of the bitterness. Mine was way too bitter.

Tapped this keg and it's absolutely delicious!
Very first pint was crystal clear (and every pint since).
Beer is fantastic and has good hop aroma that is not too strong.
Bitterness is very well balanced and the water is crisp and refreshing.

I need to pick up a couple cans of the real thing to compare, but going off memory, everything is real close except for the dry hop. I need to double the dose.
I'll get a picture up next to the real thing with an updated report.

Even if this gets changed to chase the clone, this version is getting filed in the brew again pile.

View attachment 591938
Just kegged the lager two days ago and sampled it. Burst carbonated at 42psi for 24 hrs, no gelatin. I'm using the "Clear Beer Draught System". Still very cloudy. Not even close to Brooklyn Lager! Tastes like a bitter Pale Ale. I realize this beer is still very young and it needs to lager for a while, but I don't see it ever coming close to the real thing. I must have done something very wrong on this one.
I brewed this recipe very much like you described and fermented with 34/70 in lows 60's and the beer is nothing like brooklyn lager. I've chasing a good vienna lager for a while. For some reason I get good results with 34/70 in low 60's with pilsner and helles, but not with the vienna lager styles.

That's interesting. I'm currently drinking a lager (not a Brooklyn clone) that I mashed with some Munich and melanoidin and fermented with 34/70. It's a bit syrup-y. The same boil fermented with Mangrove Jack M54 had so much less character that it was boring.

I brewed this recipe very much like you described and fermented with 34/70 in lows 60's and the beer is nothing like brooklyn lager. I've chasing a good vienna lager for a while. For some reason I get good results with 34/70 in low 60's with pilsner and helles, but not with the vienna lager styles.

The recipe notes I have here say to try WLP833 (not W-34/70).

I'm pretty sure Brooklyn now considers the beer an American amber lager instead of vienna these days. Regardless, 34/70 is the correct yeast for BL.

Latest posts

Back