Coldspot fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need some feedback. I've been looking to turn a vintage fridge into a kegerator for a while now and have been on the lookout for one. I have found a running coldspot fridge in need of tlc. The guy wants $150 and won't take any less. Is this a good deal?

I'd walk away from it. Depending on the age and condition of the unit, it may not be worth even 1/3 of what he's asking. I think you can do better. Just be patient...which we ALL learn in brewing!

glenn514:mug:

I would say it depends on what you really want to achieve. That is probably going to be very inefficient (cost a lot to run) If truly vintage you are paying for nostalgia. It it is a big one it might be worth the $. I have looked at newer ones and they run from free to hundreds depending on what they are.

Some good points here. I probably will pass. I like the look of the old style fridges and buying new ones that look that way is expensive. I had an awesome keezer that I put a lot effort into and it crapped out after less than two years. this time I want to go with a fridge so it is operating in a more typical temp range for the unit.

You can find them cheaper, as for the cost it's hype most vintage fridges/freezer use a better type of refrigerant which makes them cheaper to run.
You can find restored ones for around $400-$500 so he is a little high depending on how much work it needs.
But any electrical device can be solved

Amps X Volts = Watts
Watts X Hours run per day(2-6) is the norm. X Days per year = Total Watts
Total Watts divided by 1000 = Kilowatts
Kw X Cost per Kw (price on your electric bill = Cost to run per year.

Latest posts

Back