Brewzilla Gen4 Discussion/Tips Talk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brew setup started with
- Propane Bayou Classic 5gal BIAB setup (edit: 10 gal kettle IIRC)
- Modified 5gal setup to have a false bottom and used the same kettle for mash/boil
- OG Grainfather 110V, pre-ordered it so what is that 2014?
- Brewzilla Gen 4 220V, 2024

Grainfather was great when it worked, was bad when it didn't. No need to go into details here.
Brewzilla Gen 4 220 gets up to temp fast compared to the Grainfather (only 300W more supposidly)

The simplicity of the Brewzilla and Grainfather is really nice, but a sparge water heater could be helpful. Luckily I am using my Grainfather as a sparge water heater. I am using the CF Wort Chiller from the Grainfather in tandem with the IC from Brewzilla. Why? Because I want to be able to get a cold break, but also want to transfer the beer quickly. I run the IC and CFC together and within 2-3 minutes of turning the kettle off I start transfer to the fermenter.

CF wort chiller still irks me out, but I try to do my best to clean with PBW and Starsan after use. One of these days I am going to try to pull a small brush through with a string.

220 definitely does not need a neoprene jacket.
I bought the chiller hose kit, which is just a 5/8" hose kit with garden hose attachment. Not needed if you already have misc. parts like this laying around.
I bought the CIP attachment which I have not used yet, but will probably use.

You will like things about the Brewzilla and you will probably dislike things about the Brewzilla, but the price can't be beat if you ask me. I wouldn't bother with going crazy on options and accessories and just add a few here and there as you think you need them. Like I said, I pretty much have only used the IC hose kit. Just my $0.02.

Thank you so much! I've never actually seen the Brewzilla in action, so trying to picture the size/weight/way to lift out the malt pipe, etc. I didn't realize you were in Ocala, or else I would have bothered you to see if I can stop by sometime to see it (I'm up north now). I do much better when I see something in person vs videos and descriptions. I have a lot of miscellaneous parts for sure- and I like the idea of using the CFC too (I have a couple of March pumps laying around that I could bring into the picture if I want). Although up north, my tap water is really cold vs when I"m in Florida and it's pretty hot just coming out of the tap. I'm thinking of just doing small BIAB batches in Florida with a banjo burner and maybe an immersion chiller (of course, I have one of those laying around too), and then the Brewzilla up north.

Thank you again for all the thoughts on this.

Thank you so much! I've never actually seen the Brewzilla in action, so trying to picture the size/weight/way to lift out the malt pipe, etc.
Would it be helpful if I weighed stuff? I have the 35L model. It's about the size of a round "tall bag" kitchen trash can, mabe slightly taller.

Re weight: The 35L malt pipe with wet grain could be ~23 lbs with a 12 lb grain bill. That's light enough for some people to lift with one arm, but heavy enough that some would want a pulley. I think there are bags of dog food about that weight, if you want to simulate lifting it at the store.

Personally, I don't even have it connected to internet. There's a button for pump on/off, and up/down for temperature. Doesn't have to get more complicated than that! I use the bluetooth thermometer in the mash, which takes a bit of menu navigation.

Would it be helpful if I weighed stuff? I have the 35L model. It's about the size of a round "tall bag" kitchen trash can, mabe slightly taller.
You can do a rough estimate:
3.5kg grain
Plus about that again for the absorbed water (max).
Plus the weight of the malt pipe. Just guess at about 2kg.
Equals 9kg total = 20 lbs max

Latest posts

Back