Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flyingfinbar said:
I was talking beer with an old coworker of mine, and the conversation came to Stella. He goes "oh man, back when I was younger we used to call Stella a wife beating beer...that stuff is so strong that if you drank more than a few, you'd go home and beat your wife!"

When I was younger we used to joke, "you can't beat Stella, 'coz Stella beets your wife", and I still know loads of folk with a bad opinion of it from stereotypes like that

But the new classier(?) adds are doing a lot for its reputation with them.
But hey if they're drinking beer solely on its image we can add that to another reason I don't drink with them any more!

A friend of a friend told me last night that all Surly brews are 12%. I told him he was pretty incorrect on that and he told me it was in a red can, thus having to be furious. Furious is not even 7% which I explained. And he said it mustve been a special release, unless I am missing something, only special releases I know that could be even close to 12% is Darkness and that for sure doesn't come in a four pack or in cans. Needless to say though, he was not giving up on this argument. So I shut em up by having to go online and show him. I wouldn't be that upset if he wasn't saying ALL of them are 12%. Why in the world would they do that? Basically they would just use tge same grainbill and yeast and just add different hops if that was the case.

I think Sÿx was the strongest and it came in at 13 or 14%.

I was in a restaurant in auburn Alabama and the menu listed domestic and imported beers. Sam Adams was listed under the imports!

sam adams is listed as an import under some WEIRD law. even though it's brewed in boston, it's still listed that way. i live in texas. we have both shiner and ziegenbock, brewed here. still have to pay import prices based on some stupidsh@@ law

lumpher said:
sam adams is listed as an import under some WEIRD law. even though it's brewed in boston, it's still listed that way. i live in texas. we have both shiner and ziegenbock, brewed here. still have to pay import prices based on some stupidsh@@ law

It's not a matter of law, just a matter of how much it cost the bar. Craft brews cost more than BMC swill, so it goes on the imports list with all the other "expensive" beers. This is fairly standard practice pretty much everywhere I've been. Yes, I know they're not technically "imported", but in many bars "import" has basically become synonymous with "premium", and "domestic" with "cheap". I am frankly amazed at how many people (on this forum included) seem to have a hard time grasping that, or become agitated by it. No need to be so literal. Maybe I've just been to so many bars where craft/regional beers are listed as "imports" that I'm just used to it, but the reactions to this practice on this forum amaze me.

I travel to Texas quite often on bidness. I can easily imagine that anything that shows up there from Boston is definitely "imported"...and by that I mean "foreign"...

Cheers! ;)

unionrdr said:
Since I'm both city & country,I understand that country & western are a bit different from personal experience. I've gotten some amuzing responses to remarks about Willie Nelson,etc down home in WV.

Country & Western reminds me of the Blues Brothers we have two kinds of music round here "Country and Western"

At the movie tavern last weekend I overheard the waitress telling a patron that Guinness its made with a lot of molasses. I think it scared him away from filling his 36oz mug with molasses beer.

A couple months back, the guy working in the beer section of whole foods was telling my girlfriend that Saisons are called farmhouse ales because they have to be spontaneously fermented in an open container in a barn. She looked at him like he was out of his mind.

At my grandmothers Christmas party I offered a couple cousins a heffe I had brewed. Ones response was I only drink bud light anything else is like cheating...

At the movie tavern last weekend I overheard the waitress telling a patron that Guinness its made with a lot of molasses. I think it scared him away from filling his 36oz mug with molasses beer.

A couple months back, the guy working in the beer section of whole foods was telling my girlfriend that Saisons are called farmhouse ales because they have to be spontaneously fermented in an open container in a barn. She looked at him like he was out of his mind.

Obviously this is not the way they are brewed now, but there there is a grain of truth to what the guy said. At one point they were! Belgian farmers brewed them for their workers as a safe source of something to drink, and were 2-4% ABV, and drunken quite young.

I had definitely heard that molasses was used in guinness before I was learned. It seemed reasonable, due to the color and the mouthfeel, so I believed it.

Obviously this is not the way they are brewed now, but there there is a grain of truth to what the guy said. At one point they were! Belgian farmers brewed them for their workers as a safe source of something to drink, and were 2-4% ABV, and drunken quite young.

Historically he wasn't that far off but he was referring to the sixpack in her hand.

I had definitely heard that molasses was used in guinness before I was learned. It seemed reasonable, due to the color and the mouthfeel, so I believed it.
I can totally understand someone thinking that guinness has molasses in it I just had to chuckle because guinness is subjected to so many misconceptions. Half the staff at movie tavern aren't even old enough to drink what they're serving.

Yeah I agree. Guinness gets everything from "its so heavy!" to "its made with burnt wheat!" to "its made with molasses" to "They boil the beer for hours until it is a syrup, and then add water."

Well, sort of... The guy in the store was correct about Saisons being called farmhouse ale, but at that point he got them confused with Lambics which are naturally fermented using wild, airborne yeast. As far as brewing is concerned, both were brewed in a basement, Saisons because they were brewed in late winter for summer consumption. Today, both are brewed in breweries, and Lambics are still naturally fermented with wild yeast; Saisons aren't and never were. You are correct that Saisons were brewed as a safe beverage to replace questionable water for the workers, and thus were brewed to lower ABV. And the workers, those 15 and older, were allowed up to 5 liters per day. (Lightweights!) :drunk:

CreamyGoodness said:
Yeah I agree. Guinness gets everything from "its so heavy!" to "its made with burnt wheat!" to "its made with molasses" to "They boil the beer for hours until it is a syrup, and then add water."

I hate to be one of those well actually people.
So I won't be. But here's an interesting thing wikipedia says they do for Guinness brewed in other parts of the world. I've heard this before. So it must be true. :)

The beer is brewed under licence internationally in several countries, including Nigeria, the Bahamas, Canada, and Indonesia. The unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract is shipped from Dublin and blended with beer brewed locally.

I hate to be one of those well actually people.
So I won't be. But here's an interesting thing wikipedia says they do for Guinness brewed in other parts of the world. I've heard this before. So it must be true. :)

The beer is brewed under licence internationally in several countries, including Nigeria, the Bahamas, Canada, and Indonesia. The unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract is shipped from Dublin and blended with beer brewed locally.

Haha! The difference here though is I think people really believe you start with a "finished" (fermented) beer and then boil it until it caramelizes. Kind of a brochet brewski ;).

Edit: Yes yes I know brochets are not fermented first but rather after caramelization.

IMHO, Guinness is thin as water and has less flavor than BMC, whether in a can, a bottle or on tap. It's the exact opposite of what the general public thinks/says about it. Am I alone here?

If given a choice between a guinness (which I like an awful lot actually) and a PBR/Miller/Bud/whatever I will always choose a guinness. I dont think I can agree with you personally on that one.

IMHO, Guinness is thin as water and has less flavor than BMC, whether in a can, a bottle or on tap. It's the exact opposite of what the general public thinks/says about it. Am I alone here?

You're not alone, not a fan myself either. It looks like a full bodied stout but its not. I don't like the thin mouthfeel to it all. First time I saw someone pour it upside down into a pint glass from a can I almost **** my pants though. It was my ex gf and I go "WTF are you doing you're going to make a mess!" She wasn't happy I doubted her haha.

If given a choice between a guinness (which I like an awful lot actually) and a PBR/Miller/Bud/whatever I will always choose a guinness. I dont think I can agree with you personally on that one.

If given those choices only I like to choose wine or some whiskey or something. Unfortunately in a place only serving those, the other booze is pretty low quality too. Going to a friends house I usually bring homebrew or pick up a sixer of something on the way over. I never grew up liking Guinness or having my parents drinking it so I guess I'm just not into it.

Yeah I acquired a taste for it somewhere along the line. So far, the stout I have had that has blown my mind the most is Serpent Stout. Tasty stuff.

Keith66 said:

I've always enjoyed Guinness. Probably because my mom loves it so much, so I grew up drinking it with her. But I'll order a Guinness from time to time if I'm out somewhere that doesn't have a craft beer selection. It seems most places have it.
And it definitely is the exact opposite of what people say it is. It's not strong in flavor or ABV.
What's funny is my dad says they make it out of sheep poop. That's how they get the color and nasty flavor.

My favorite Guinness myth is that there is a lot of protein in it that gives it that special taste. The lore goes that rats fell in the fermentation chamber and drowned and that made the best Guinness ever so they kept adding dead rats. But today they don't add rats they just throw raw beef in the vats to keep that original taste.
The first time I heard this I had no idea what to say to the guy that told me. And he truly believed it.

My favorite Guinness myth is that there is a lot of protein in it that gives it that special taste. The lore goes that rats fell in the fermentation chamber and drowned and that made the best Guinness ever so they kept adding dead rats. But today they don't add rats they just throw raw beef in the vats to keep that original taste.
The first time I heard this I had no idea what to say to the guy that told me. And he truly believed it.

Hahah its like drinking a protein shake, perfect for a post workout drink.

Yeah I acquired a taste for it somewhere along the line. So far, the stout I have had that has blown my mind the most is Serpent Stout. Tasty stuff.

I've been loving Marooned on Hog island from 21st Amendment. I know one place with a 4 pack left and Ill hopefully be picking it up tonight or early tomorrow. I don't think they are ever making it again :(.

I've been loving Marooned on Hog island from 21st Amendment. I know one place with a 4 pack left and Ill hopefully be picking it up tonight or early tomorrow. I don't think they are ever making it again :(.

Have you tried Flying Dog's Pearl Necklace? Pretty similiar to Marooned on Hog Island IMO.

Swarley88 said:

I emailed the brewery and asked if it was something they were going to make again. I'll see what their response is. It really is one of the best stouts I've ever had.

Just now went into liquor store ran into a buddy there. We were talking about different beers and how he didn't like bitter brews. This 60 year old lady walks by grabs a 30 pack of miller on her way back she says in a raspy pack of cigs a day voice "after 3 they all taste the same anyway"

Coming from a veteran. I can appreciate that comment. She just wants to be drunk. The first three are the hardest. If you like what you brew then the first sip is the best sip

Gotta agree. Extra Stout ain't bad though.

In parts of Europe, darker beers are typically considered to be for women to drink and men won't touch them.

My last girlfriend pretty much ONLY drank stouts.

In parts of Europe, darker beers are typically considered to be for women to drink and men won't touch them.

True dat, in Romania they kept handing the dark one to the GF and the light ones to me... Then gave me funny looks when we switched over.

The Tesco website categorises beer as:
Beer
Bitter and stouts
Lager

So what goes where?

That is on the mobile site though so i hope it's just an error there but doubt it.
Now I know I didn't 'over hear it' but its still pretty funny!

image-3854173910.jpg

At a friends party

Me, to group: "I brought Nugget Nectar, it's in the fridge. Really good beer if you like hoppy beers."
Girl: "I like hops, I'll try one. Does it taste like chicken?"
Me: "......., no. Not at all."
Girl: "I thought the nugget would be like chicken nuggets"
"Me: "no, it's a hop variety"
Girl, takes a sip: "Ohh, you're right. That's nothing like chicken"

Raenon said:
The fact that "Lager" means Yuengling in its home market is a credit to the fact that its so popular, its the default.

That might piss you off, but ignoring it or acting like its wrong just because its not your favorite seems silly.

This

At a friends party

Me, to group: "I brought Nugget Nectar, it's in the fridge. Really good beer if you like hoppy beers."
Girl: "I like hops, I'll try one. Does it taste like chicken?"
Me: "......., no. Not at all."
Girl: "I thought the nugget would be like chicken nuggets"
"Me: "no, it's a hop variety"
Girl, takes a sip: "Ohh, you're right. That's nothing like chicken"

That is pure awesome right there :D

Back