Scroll saw motor for mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried a scroll saw motor for milling grain. I've got a 1/4hp motor from a Dremel scroll saw. The low speed will be at 890 rpm. with a 5:1 ratio I can bring it down to 178 rpm at the mill. Seems like a good fit?

Any input? I'm about to buy pulleys. looking for input before I put money into the project.

Thanks. I also wonder if the torque will be sufficient after the speed reduction.

After 5:1 reduction it should be 1/5 the speed but 5 times more torque, right? Been a while since Science class...

My input is that by the time you buy pulleys, and belts etc., and work to make it happen, you could have easily rigged up a big ass Harbor Freight 1/2" drill for like 30-40 bucks...

Agreed. You didn't say what mill.

The motor was free, I already have it. I've sourced the pulleys (have not placed the order) total after shipping will be around $30. The motor is a TEFC motor rated for continuous duty, based on it's prior purpose in life. (or at least 80% duty cycle).

The mill is a barley crusher. Though I'd hope it would power a MM or similar down the road, that's not the current requirement.

Back