Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm both city & country,I understand that country & western are a bit different from personal experience. I've gotten some amuzing responses to remarks about Willie Nelson,etc down home in WV.

Same in Texas. You could have this conversation:

Me: I'd like a coke
Waiter: What kind?
Me: Dr. Pepper

That drives me nuts :confused:

Then again, if I asked my mom for a Kleenex growing up, she'd say "We don't have any Kleenex, but here's a tissue" :tank:

zmanzorro said:

I guess you guys in Dallas are a little strange. ;)
Everywhere I've been in Texas, if I ask for a coke, I either get a coca cola or if they don't have it, I'm asked if Pepsi is fine.

nasty_rabbit said:
In Atlanta, the home of Coke-a-cola, ordering a "Coke" refers to anything carbonated. It could be root beer, lemon lime or orange. If you truly want a "Coke" you order a "coke cola".

In SC it's a "Co-Cola"! We're pretty lazy with our regressive consonants...

Here in Alabama, if you ask for a Coke, they assume soft drink. They will usually ask if Pepsi is okay (if they don't carry Coca-Cola), but they are just as likely to ask the "what kind?" question, as well... asking for a "coke" merely means carbonated, non alcoholic beverage.

I've never seen or tried Yuengling, only heard about it here a couple times. I would assume "lager", in that situation, meant Samuel Adams Boston Lager. But what do I know.

In PA, especially the eastern half, it's ubiquitous. Yuengling sells more product in it's 13 state market than Sam Adams sells in all 50.
That should be an indicator for how popular it is in those 13 states.

When Yuengling was re-introduced to Ohio (after they stopped selling it there, due to production limitations and demand several years prior), folks lined up 24 hours in advance to reserve their cases.

This is interesting:

www.popvssoda.com

Pop is definitely a midwest thing, but the distribution of "soda" doesn't necessarily follow a pattern. Unless you count "not midwest or south" as a pattern.

Wat. That's so weird!

Here if you order lager you would probably get carling, carlsberg (NOT export) or foster's, whichever they carry.

Or in Scotland, Tennent's...

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

Wat. That's so weird!

Here if you order lager you would probably get carling, carlsberg (NOT export) or foster's, whichever they carry.

Or in Scotland, Tennent's...

Man this "lager" :off: is getting worst than all the others... but at least it is still kind of about beer.
If anyone that knows a thing about beer asks for a lager and expect Yuengling, that is wrong.
But for those that don't know much about beer - if they ask for a lager and got something other than Yuengling; would they even notice?

I have a funny one about yuingling I ask my buddy who is a die hard bl fan if he has ever tried it and he always says " I don't get down on any ding a ling" he's an idiot.

Man this "lager" :off: is getting worst than all the others... but at least it is still kind of about beer.
If anyone that knows a thing about beer asks for a lager and expect Yuengling, that is wrong.
But for those that don't know much about beer - if they ask for a lager and got something other than Yuengling; would they even notice?

I understand beer, and when I go to the bar and ask for a Lager, 9 times out of 10, there isn't even a question...

Also, in a noisy bar, you don't even need to hear the word "Lager" to know what they said, anyone can read that.

Finally- if you seriously don't think that anyone would be able to tell the difference between the amber color of yuengling with any of the piss-yellow BMC types.. I'd question your knowledge of beer, or at least this one.

other_lights_pale.jpg

I understand beer, and when I go to the bar and ask for a Lager, 9 times out of 10, there isn't even a question...
But did you get a lager? and would you feel justified to be annoyed if you had got lager B instead of lager A?
Also, in a noisy bar, you don't even need to hear the word "Lager" to know what they said, anyone can read that.
What do this have to do with it?
Finally- if you seriously don't think that anyone would be able to tell the difference between the amber color of yuengling with any of the piss-yellow BMC types.. I'd question your knowledge of beer, or at least this one.

other_lights_pale.jpg
But what if you were actually comparing between Yuengling and another non-BMC / non-light lager? Something simliar to Yuengling but not actually Yuengling, again under the assumption that you are not a beer "expert"

mattd2 said:
But what if you were actually comparing between Yuengling and another non-BMC / non-light lager? Something simliar to Yuengling but not actually Yuengling, again under the assumption that you are not a beer "expert"

Do you talk like this to your friends?
Do they actually like you?
Would you know if they just act like it so they can talk behind your back about how obnoxious you can be?

I wouldn't ever ask for a lager simply because I hate redundancy when dealing with waitstaff.

I'll have a coke. What kind? The coca cola kind...
I'll have a diet. What kind? The kind you have...
I'll have a lager. What kind? Yuengling.

I'm short to the point and leave no room for error in anything I order. I don't want to have a pointless conversation with a waiter because I was too lazy to clearly define what I wanted.

I certainly don't get mad, berate or even care about how other people order beverages though.

DrunkleJon said:
Thread is getting unfunny again. Why am I having flashbacks to economics?

That's probably because you can call Yuengling a lager only when it's demand is really high. If the demand drops then you have to switch over to the high demand lager. Vice versa with supply. Now price...don't get me started....

That's probably because you can call Yuengling a lager only when it's demand is really high. If the demand drops then you have to switch over to the high demand lager. Vice versa with supply. Now price...don't get me started....

As Homer once said. Or I imagined he said. "Ahhh! Sin it to Hell!"

A friend of a friend told me last night that all Surly brews are 12%. I told him he was pretty incorrect on that and he told me it was in a red can, thus having to be furious. Furious is not even 7% which I explained. And he said it mustve been a special release, unless I am missing something, only special releases I know that could be even close to 12% is Darkness and that for sure doesn't come in a four pack or in cans. Needless to say though, he was not giving up on this argument. So I shut em up by having to go online and show him. I wouldn't be that upset if he wasn't saying ALL of them are 12%. Why in the world would they do that? Basically they would just use tge same grainbill and yeast and just add different hops if that was the case.

A friend of a friend told me last night that all Surly brews are 12%. I told him he was pretty incorrect on that and he told me it was in a red can, thus having to be furious. Furious is not even 7% which I explained. And he said it mustve been a special release, unless I am missing something, only special releases I know that could be even close to 12% is Darkness and that for sure doesn't come in a four pack or in cans. Needless to say though, he was not giving up on this argument. So I shut em up by having to go online and show him. I wouldn't be that upset if he wasn't saying ALL of them are 12%. Why in the world would they do that? Basically they would just use tge same grainbill and yeast and just add different hops if that was the case.

Not necessarily. You could still use completely different grain bills and use blends of yeasts along with the high gravity strain. There is a brewery here, Triple Digit, who's beers are all right around 10%. Doesn't change the fact that he was wrong about Surly, but the idea that all 12% beers would have nearly the same ingredients isn't really correct either.

I just heard a good one at the beer distributor. Normally, the guys working there know there beer, but this guy.....not so much. I was looking for a sour and asked him if he knew anything about a capt lawrence hops n roses. He looks at the bottle and says "Well, this says its a malt beverage, so it's not even beer". Probably one of those things people that don't brew don't know. Sounded pretty funny though

Other: "Wow you brewed these?"
Me: "Yup, sure did."
Other: "Cool man, what's the ABV?"
Me: "This one's around 7%"
Other: "Whoa that's getting into ale territory."
Me: sigh......

While I was drinking an Atwater Lager from the can.

"Lager?!?! That just sounds too dark to drink." [takes a pull off a Bud Light can]

I really don't mind the ignorance of those who do not want to get into craft beer...but when that ignorance is thrown out to criticize the beer I'm drinking, it gets a little obnoxious.

EDIT: I occasionally enjoy a glass of wine but will admit to being as ignorant about wine as the typical BMC drinker is about craft beer.

hunter_la5 said:
I like the red ones. Yep, I'm pretty much a connoisseur....

That's me too. Dark and dry. I usually just get merlot because it is the only style I know I'll probably like. I might even look like I know what I'm doing because I almost always order red meat...merlot "goes" with that, right?

Dark and dry. I usually just get merlot because it is the only style I know I'll probably like.

I'm no connoisseur either, but my brother is a hoity-toity professional winemaker in Napa Valley, so I get top-notch stuff for free. Yay. Anyway, I'm pretty sure merlot is on the fruity end, not real dry, which is why it's so popular. Cab sauvignon, cab franc, zinfandel (not white zin) are dry. My brother makes really good beer too.

Keith66 said:
I'm no connoisseur either, but my brother is a hoity-toity professional winemaker in Napa Valley, so I get top-notch stuff for free. Yay. Anyway, I'm pretty sure merlot is on the fruity end, not real dry, which is why it's so popular. Cab sauvignon, cab franc, zinfandel (not white zin) are dry. My brother makes really good beer too.

Seems dry to me. But I've already confessed my ignorance. I'm comparing it to the sugary sweet stuff my wife drinks...Riesling.

It has the word platinum in it, so you know it has to be good stuff. ;)

well actually, I prefer the Bud Light Adamantium, which is much better than the platinum. My local beer shop says if I like that, he'll get me some Coors Silver Bullet "Kryptonite"

I'll just grab my hat and coat and duck out now....

I was talking beer with an old coworker of mine, and the conversation came to Stella. He goes "oh man, back when I was younger we used to call Stella a wife beating beer...that stuff is so strong that if you drank more than a few, you'd go home and beat your wife!"

flyingfinbar said:
I was talking beer with an old coworker of mine, and the conversation came to Stella. He goes "oh man, back when I was younger we used to call Stella a wife beating beer...that stuff is so strong that if you drank more than a few, you'd go home and beat your wife!"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_artois

Under the advertising banner and United Kingdom

Seems dry to me. But I've already confessed my ignorance. I'm comparing it to the sugary sweet stuff my wife drinks...Riesling.

Yeah, it's definitely drier than a riesling, which is a dessert wine, but so are all reds. My brother will be the first to tell you "Drink what you like, whether it costs $100 a bottle or comes in a box... that's why you drink it, to enjoy it." ...which is why I drink beer... so back to beer!

somewhere in the vast internet must be a wine forum with a 'funny things you've overheard about wine' thread.... i bet a few of the entries here are on it!

assuming wine people have a sense of humor

which they don't

so forget it.

i don't know if this was already on here, i'm sure it's quite common. on a bus, high school kid, massachusetts accent, passing a sign for narragansett lager (in a tall can). "what's lager beer? it's a laahghah beeah, means it comes in a tall can". same kid later, when asked where rice is grown, told his friend that you can't grow rice since it's just chopped up spaghetti.

Wow, he wasn't kidding! Thanks for posting that, interesting/disturbing stuff!

The reason we call it that is because for a long time most British beer was <4%, but Stella always stayed at 5.2%. That's also why it was expensive.

Presumably it says all that in the wikipedia article though...

Back