Filtering Hops in Blichmann Boilermaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleurDeLis425

Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Blichmann Boilermaker. Before I do so, I am trying to figure out how I best want to handle hop additions. I am a fan of just tossing them in and letting them get the full extraction. Currently I am using a 5 gallon kettle for partial boils and I have no issue really straining everything out when I pour the wort into the fermenter using a funnel and strainer. But with the Blichmann, since I want to be using the ball valve, I know the hops will clog up.

I thought about getting the Blichmann HopBlocker, but I hear mixed reviews on its effectiveness and I also hear you can’t fit an immersion chiller in with it. Don’t really want to make the jump to the Therminator. I suppose hop bags are an option, but I always feel like I am not getting the most out of my hops when I do that.

Curious about what others who have this kettle are doing. How do you filter your hops?

I use well oversized hop bags, don't see how that would have a huge effect in reducing isomerization. If you use pellets, I don't think they would clog the valve, it's sizeable and I've done it without issues (before I bought hop bags). I just think bags are easier.

Take a look at the hop screens people have reviewed here. I just reviewed a dry hop screen, but my boil hop screen is in the same pic. I use blichmann ss and with a mesh screen the ball valves don't clog when I use the screen and a false bottom on the Mash. Lots of reviews on the therminator, and there are plenty of reviews here for it and other plate chillers, they work.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dry-hop-tube-screen-410872/

Back