Vanilla bean porter gone wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcamham

Reaction score
I kegged my vanilla bean porter today, and when I was transferring it from my carboy the porter was a bit light and smelled like chemicals. It has a dark green color. Could this have been an infection? It was in primary for a week and secondary for a week. I sanitized everything like I usually do and I dont know what could have happened.

image-3452579942.jpg

Any chance you exposed it to oxygen before it was cooled? Sounds like you have the same issue I had with a couple of batches. They lack body and really don't have a lot of taste. Except a chemical/ maybe cardboard taste. I had a friend say it tasted like pool water. I bottled a batch to see if it would age out but four months, same flavor. I save it to let my friends taste a bad beer every now and then.

Before it was cooled? Well the wort chiller is running inside the kettle as it is cooling so technically it is exposed while it is chilling before I pitch the yeast. But I have never had a problem before. I think when I transferred to secondary it might not have been done fermenting which is weird cause It was in primary for a week. I dont know. Im just pissed

I usually leave mine in primary for at least 3 weeks before I even consider moving it.

I did do one in 2 weeks once, but it was a cream ale that HAD to be ready by St Patrick's Day :D

I think 2 weeks is the problem. Racking it off the yeast in a week really elminates the yeasts ability to clean up by-products of fermentation. That is also too short a time to clear up the "mudiness" for a nice clear beer.

tomcamham said:
Before it was cooled? Well the wort chiller is running inside the kettle as it is cooling so technically it is exposed while it is chilling before I pitch the yeast. But I have never had a problem before. I think when I transferred to secondary it might not have been done fermenting which is weird cause It was in primary for a week. I dont know. Im just pissed

A recipe is only a guideline for the brewer. Your yeast may take longer (or shorter) depending on the environment the brewer has placed them in. Temperature, oxygen and proper pitching will affect everything for the fermentation. For the future I would recommend using your hydrometer to tell you when to rack your beer, not a timeline. When your beer gets close to terminal gravity then rack as normal. I would even possibly wait until its reached its final gravity for 3 consecutive days then rack.

Cheers.

Back