Graff in Primary for Too Long???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
I've got my 4th batch of Graff sitting in the primary. Spring projects, general lazyness and other things have prevented me from bottling it. Generally I bottle after it sits in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

I'm pushing 2 months.

Am I pushing things in a bad direction? Or am I just aging my Graff towards apple-ly-goodness???

Fermentation was controlled in the mid-60's. Since then the warmest it has gotten was 72 but generally it hasn't been over 70.

Whatcha think?

Have you racked it off the lees? I would think it might impart some of-tastes if you let it sit too long on them...If it was racked however I don't think you'd have an issue.

Haven't racked it yet.....if I did it would be sitting in the secondary :D Just hanging out in the primary.

Hmmm, I would take a tasting to check and if you find any off flavors maybe back sweeten with a few cans of frozen apple concentrate.

In the world of beer brewing, which I'm more familiar with....everything I'm reading indicates that when proper sanitary techniques are observed and quality yeast and ingredients are used it shouldn't be a problem.

The yeasties tend to clean up the off flavors for weeks after fermentation is complete. Some people mention autolysis as a concern but this doesn't seem to be an issue unless unhealthy yeast or high temperature are an issue. Many beer brewers stop using secondaries and leave their beers on the primary for months at a time to clean out.

I'm wondering if this is the case with Graff and cider. :rockin:

Yes, autolysis is a concern when making cider. However, it would take a few months for the process to begin, and as cider has a relatively short production time, it usually isn't a concern.

Back