Consistently very low OG. What am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemTiger0408

Reaction score
I just completed batch #3 and I am now 3/3 for having an OG well below what the kit I used said it should be. For example, I just completed an American Pale Ale kit from my local store that says it should have an OG of about 1.040. I came in at like 1.016. Wowzers.

I do partial 3-gal boils that end up being around 2.75 gallons into the bucket after cooling. I shake up the cooled wort quite vigorously and once the foam settles on top, I bring up to 5 gal using the lines on the bucket and take my reading. Am I supposed to take the reading BEFORE I top off to 5 gallons? I doubt it, but double checking.

So what could I be doing wrong? I'm following the instructions to the letter and I'm always well under what I'm supposed to be. My beers have always tasted good and seem to have a decent alcohol content (just by doing my 3 beers=buzzed test). My FGs are always way under too.

Help!

Assuming these are extract batches, I'd be almost positive that your reading is wrong. I imagine you just haven't mixed the concentrated wort and top off water thoroughly. It's pretty hard to miss your OG with extract kits (unless your volumes are wrong, or you dropped a bunch of extract on the kitchen floor).

These are extract kits. Mixing issue is a possibility, as I don't really do it. I typically just pour water in so as I type this I'm thinking "of course the plain water is just sitting on top". Should I be mixing the water with the wort? I use a spray nosel when adding the water and I assumed this mixed it well enough.

Would not mixing it affect the beer's result down the line? Like I said, all my beers have turned out pretty good.

These are extract kits. Mixing issue is a possibility, as I don't really do it. I typically just pour water in so as I type this I'm thinking "of course the plain water is just sitting on top". Should I be mixing the water with the wort? I use a spray nosel when adding the water and I assumed this mixed it well enough.

Would not mixing it affect the beer's result down the line? Like I said, all my beers have turned out pretty good.

It won't affect the result. The yeast will mix everything for you. But you'll never be able to take an OG properly without mixing it. If its cool mix it thoroughly. Yeast need oxygen so the more vigorous you mix it (if it's cooled) the better.

If the beers are tasting good then my guess is that you're reading the measurement incorrectly - how exactly I don't know, but that would be my bet.

I just completed batch #3 and I am now 3/3 for having an OG well below what the kit I used said it should be. For example, I just completed an American Pale Ale kit from my local store that says it should have an OG of about 1.040. I came in at like 1.016. Wowzers.

I do partial 3-gal boils that end up being around 2.75 gallons into the bucket after cooling. I shake up the cooled wort quite vigorously and once the foam settles on top, I bring up to 5 gal using the lines on the bucket and take my reading. Am I supposed to take the reading BEFORE I top off to 5 gallons? I doubt it, but double checking.

So what could I be doing wrong? I'm following the instructions to the letter and I'm always well under what I'm supposed to be. My beers have always tasted good and seem to have a decent alcohol content (just by doing my 3 beers=buzzed test). My FGs are always way under too.

Help!
Sounds like you are reading your hydrometer wrong or it is bad.

Back