Corn sugar in recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eLborracho

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Double IPA recipe that includes 14oz of corn sugar presumably to boost ABV. The recipe does not specify on how long or when to add sugar to boil. Can anyone enlighten me on techniques for using sugar in boils?

Put it in boil sometime between the start and the finish of the boil. It really is that simple. Depending on when you add it will affect hop utilization.

You could even put it in after you turn the heat off. It dissolves fairly easily and the yeast will find it anyway. It might be beneficial to add it when the ferment slows as the yeast will prefer to eat the corn sugars first and may not complete the malt sugars as they become stressed with the amount of alcohol. Heat up some water to a boil, dissolve the corn sugar in it, let it cool, and pour it (racking it would be better to limit the addition of oxygen) into the fermenter.

I was wondering what kind of effects boiling would have on the sugar, such as caramelization and if I could manipulate the flavors dependent on the time it was added.

i made a saison last week that called for 1lbs of corn sugar, i put it in at the beginning of the boil

Hop Hammer from BYO mag
13.5 lbs 2-row pale
.5 lb wheatmalt
.5 lb crystal 40L
*1.25lbs corn sugar
1.75oz. warrior (90 min)
1.75oz Chinook(90 min)
1 oz Simcoe (45 min)
1 oz Columbus(30 min)
1.75 oz centennial (0 min)
1 oz Simcoe (0 min)
2.5 oz Columbus (dry hop)
1.5 oz centennial (dry hop)
1.5 oz Simcoe (dry hop)
White labs WLP001 California ale yeast
Mash at 150
Ferment @ 67
OG 1.079
FG 1.013
ABV 8.8%

* correction, I said it called for 14oz but it actually calls for 20oz of corn sugar.

I was wondering what kind of effects boiling would have on the sugar, such as caramelization and if I could manipulate the flavors dependent on the time it was added.

Caramelization does occur at the tun boundary. But it's subtle. A 90 min boil will have a diff SRM to a 60 because of this caramelization. Probably not a tastable difference though.

Back