Brewin' Legal in Alabama pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wailingguitar

Reaction score
Someone on the Who's Brewing this Weekend thread suggested a pic thread of Alabama brewers first official brews, so here 'tis...

My brew, a 'clean the closet' Pale Ale, so has odd hop choices :D... if I were the sort to be overly witty with my names, I might call it Legale, but since I'm not of that bent, I am simply calling it Legal Pale Ale

8# pale ale malt
1# Victory
1# Carastan

Mash 45 minutes at about 152

1oz Perle 8.5aa 60 minutes
1oz Hersbrucker 5 minutes
1oz Cascade/1 oz Saaz flame out, 5 minutes steep prior to cool

OG 1.048, should have been 1.052, but I ran off a little too fast. Oh well

SO5

My first official brew also christened my rebuilt mash tun (story for another time), so we have a pic of my crazy manifold... a pic of my trusty, 20 year old enameled kettle with water heating for mash/sparge and of a nice, rolling boil... Oh yes, and I made a point of being quite visible to the neighbors while I was working!

Mash Tun Rebuild.jpg

Water heating.jpg

Legal ale boiling.jpg

I noticed in an e-mail today that AL finally got legal.Northern Brewer sent an e-mail where if you spend $125,you get a free White House Honey ale kit. Because all 50 states are now legal.

That's a great pot.

Thanks! 33qt tamale pot, my late wife gave it to me for Christmas many moons ago. It has moved across country four times, as well as numerous local moves, and I can't tell you how many batches have been done it!

Holy carp! I only made some little tweaks to that manifold when I rebuilt it, I worked out the kinks yesterday and then helped a buddy brew today... my efficiency went from 80% on the original one to 92% on the new! :drunk:

Edit: I am not discounting the possibility that the brew shop that my buddy got the grain from might have went a pound over on the base malt on this one, that would put it at around 83% efficiency. In hindsight, the mash felt a little stiff, so it is possible

Back