Ants in my secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murdoch2677

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post and I just wanted to say I appreciate all the great advice.
I am only on my second batch of hard cider and still experimenting with ingredients. I tried some molasses in the secondary and didn't notice until it was too late that my molasses had ants in it! My fault for working without decent lighting I suppose.
I am wondering if these little buggers will ruin my cider, do I just chuck it and try again or let it go and see what happens? There aren't hundreds, probably a dozen or so.
Thanks.

Mmmm! Protein. I would let 'er ride and see how it comes out. People world wide eat ants on purpose. Chocolate covered ants come to mind.

If you read here for a while you will soon find out that just about the only answer you will get it "try it and see!". It makes sense, there's just no way of telling.

"Dead Ant" Cider labels, and let them guess. :)

Image courtesy of BeerLabelizer.com

BeerLabel.jpg

The idea gives me the "ewww gross" factor. I've never eaten or drank anything that I saw ants in. If I never saw them, of course, that would be different. :drunk:

I grew up in Outback Australia where accidentally eating insects was considered a regular source of protein. My biggest concern is ruining a perfectly good batch of alcoholic beverage that I had planned to drink this summer. So yeah, I'll see how it turns out. I'll also include 'ant' in my ingredient list just in case it adds something positive to the taste.

Thanks guys!

Back