New brewer new equipment what to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
Hello! Im new to the hobby but im so excited about it already. Id like to begin researching what piece of equipment id like purchase next. I think i have the basics but heres what i have:
6.5 gallon fermenter
6.5 gal bottling bucket
6 gal glass carboy
Hydrometer
Wine theif
Bottling wand
Auto siphon
Brewing kettle and lid
Bottle capper

...i think thats about it. I just bought the thief and the carboy. I was thinking initially about beginning to price a wort chiller? What do you guys think? As always thanks for the help and the insight!!

A burner so you can brew outside. If your starting with extract and want a cheap way to control fermentation you can get one of those round children's tubs, fill it with water, place in the fermenter and use frozen soda bottles to regulate the temp. If you move to all grain there are more things to purchase, like a cooler to use as a mash tun.

I thought people were crazy saying this to me before my first brew but now I understand why:

I personally would find a way to go all grain right out of the gate. I do it with Brew in a Bag (BIAB) right now and I basically have nothing more than you, plus a propane burner and a paint straining bag. I did buy a grain mill to crush my grain finer but that is not 100% necessary (I did my first BIAB without it and it turned out fine).

Also, no matter how many buckets I have, I feel like I need just one more to make my brew day a little easier (I'm probably weird that way, though).

Yeh sorry i guess i also should have said that im starting with extract brewing. Id like to eventually move to all grain but im in no real hurry just yet. So im just looking for equip that would help with that and maybe i guess be used in AG in the future?

I'd recommend investing in a wort chiller unless you have a sufficient way of cooling down your wort.

i'm interested to see everyone's responses..... i have only done four batches & was given advice to focus healthy yeast. so i got a vial for yeast starters & an O2 tank with a stone to aerate the wart

Ridire said:
I thought people were crazy saying this to me before my first brew but now I understand why:

I personally would find a way to go all grain right out of the gate. I do it with Brew in a Bag (BIAB) right now and I basically have nothing more than you, plus a propane burner and a paint straining bag. I did buy a grain mill to crush my grain finer but that is not 100% necessary (I did my first BIAB without it and it turned out fine).

Also, no matter how many buckets I have, I feel like I need just one more to make my brew day a little easier (I'm probably weird that way, though).

If nothing else you explained to me what BIAB means haha. Been trying to figure that out! I thought about trying to go ag from the start but i felt and still feel like learning from the bottom up. I may feel like later that i shoulda started into it sooner but i dont think ill regret it

I would get a wort chiller and or a stirplate. Great DYI for both here or you can buy the stirplate at stirstarters.com

If nothing else you explained to me what BIAB means haha. Been trying to figure that out! I thought about trying to go ag from the start but i felt and still feel like learning from the bottom up. I may feel like later that i shoulda started into it sooner but i dont think ill regret it

It is nowhere near as complicated as you think right now. I wish my first brew would have been an all grain BIAB brew. The only "sciency" thing I needed to learn between first brew and first AG brew was the importance of the water temperature for the mash (which is essentially just soaking the grain in water for a certain period of time, at a certain temperature). And here is about all you need to know about that:

If your water is over 165+/- then the sugar you get will not be fermentable and you will end up with a high FG, low alcohol content and sweet beer. I think most of the recipes I've seen call for the mash water to be 150 - 160 degrees to properly convert the sugar.

Other than that, BIAB involves (1) soaking grains for about an hour; (2) removing grains; (3) boiling wort for about an hour while adding hops; (4) throwing some yeast in there after the boiled wort has been cooled.

Not rocket science.

As for wort chillers go, I can't comment. The tap water where I live is cold...damn cold...even if it is 100 degrees outside, that water will turn your hand numb in seconds. I took 5 gallons of boiling wort down to 65 degrees in under 30 minutes by just placing my kettle in a tub of cold water, sticking my hose into the tub and letting the tub continuously overflow (obviously the kettle is taller than the tub of water). Based on those results, I really have no use for a chiller.

I'd recommend investing in a wort chiller

+1

If you have any friends into homebrewing, maybe you can borrow one of theirs before buying. It's also a very doable DIY project.

I know some people say to jump right into all grain, however I know several people who brewed one batch and gave up. Either it took too much time, or SWMBO's didn't like carboys laying around, or whatever. Before you invest in all-grain, figure out if you like brewing at all.

Welcome to the hobby... err.. I mean addition!

Hello! Im new to the hobby but im so excited about it already. Id like to begin researching what piece of equipment id like purchase next. I think i have the basics but heres what i have:
6.5 gallon fermenter
6.5 gal bottling bucket
6 gal glass carboy
Hydrometer
Wine theif
Bottling wand
Auto siphon
Brewing kettle and lid
Bottle capper

- Extra bucket(s). 5 gal Homer buckets are just fine. Good for sanitizing equipment.
--- For longer equipment like wine thief/auto-siphon people have recommended trays for wall paper glue/solution. Long and deep enough to fit and sanitize those longish items.

- Stirring spoon long enough to reach bottom of brew kettle (without scorching fingers)

- Another hydrometer (you *will* break one)

This is more of a consumables list, but:

- Bottle caps
- Sanitizing solution (star san, iodophor, etc)
- OxyClean clear (some recommend for cleaning used bottles/de labeling.)

re: Bottle caps

You should buy way more than you have bottles for. Like sanitizing solution, you don't want to be too far into the process and realize you need more.

digital thermometer (for checking pitching temp)
wort chiller (easy diy project)
mesh bag for steeping grains (reusable)
hop bags (reusable)
stir spoon (or a whisk)
funnel
kitchen timer (for steeping and hop scheduling)
scissors (because I hate to share)
spray bottle for Star-san (Star-san is a Godsend and a spray bottle is so handy)
blow-off tube and airlocks
bottle brush
jet bottle washer dohicky (I use this just for bottles that are new to my inventory)

These are the only things I have that are not on your list already. I'm no expert by any means. But this little bit of equipment has been used for over 50 extract brews. My point is, there just isn't that much needed to brew great tasting beer and you already have most of it. You're within $200 of everything I have.

Thanks for the answers!

Could anyone send me a link to a DIY wort chiller? I like the idea of having one and saving some money would be great. I definitely liked the suggestions of another hydrometer, and more caps and star san. I was planning on adding some small stuff like that to my next ingredient kit order.

Any other suggestions would be great

I'm a fairly new brewer having only done 2 extract batches so far. I did, however, spend quite some time researching what equipment I wanted to get. Here are a few suggestions that I went with.

I purchased a Spidel plastic fermenter from Morebeer. I chose this over a glass carboy for a few reasons:

First was ease of cleaning. The top is about 5" in diameter which makes it a breeze to get in and clean. Second, it had a spigot and I chose to bottle directly from my fermenter. This eliminated purchasing siphoning equipment and a bottling bucket. I paid a little more for the fermenter, but made it up in not purchasing other equipment. Third, it had sturdy handles built in to make transporting 5 gallons easier..and I didn't want to chance breaking a glass carboy either.

Another suggestion I would make is getting a refractometer. A hydrometer with a thermometer runs $16. Add $5 for a hydrometer jar, and another $5 for a basic backup hydrometer and I was going to spend $26. I picked up a decent refractometer on eBay for $30 shipped to my door. I only use a few drops of beer to test gravity, instead of filling the hydrometer jar every time...more beer for me :mug:

Also, if your going to be bottling your beer, I would suggest getting a vinator to sanitize your bottles....absolutely love mine!

I've attached a picture of my Spidel fermenter.

***EDIT****

Just re-read the original post and realized you already had that list of equipment...thought it was your shopping list. Oops... :eek: Guess my first two suggestions won't help you much, but maybe it will help someone else...

20130509_172049.jpg

MusicalBrewer said:
I'm a fairly new brewer having only done 2 extract batches so far. I did, however, spend quite some time researching what equipment I wanted to get. Here are a few suggestions that I went with.

I purchased a Spidel plastic fermenter from Morebeer. I chose this over a glass carboy for a few reasons:

First was ease of cleaning. The top is about 5" in diameter which makes it a breeze to get in and clean. Second, it had a spigot and I chose to bottle directly from my fermenter. This eliminated purchasing siphoning equipment and a bottling bucket. I paid a little more for the fermenter, but made it up in not purchasing other equipment. Third, it had sturdy handles built in to make transporting 5 gallons easier..and I didn't want to chance breaking a glass carboy either.

Another suggestion I would make is getting a refractometer. A hydrometer with a thermometer runs $16. Add $5 for a hydrometer jar, and another $5 for a basic backup hydrometer and I was going to spend $26. I picked up a decent refractometer on eBay for $30 shipped to my door. I only use a few drops of beer to test gravity, instead of filling the hydrometer jar every time...more beer for me :mug:

Also, if your going to be bottling your beer, I would suggest getting a vinator to sanitize your bottles....absolutely love mine!

I've attached a picture of my Spidel fermenter.

***EDIT****

Just re-read the original post and realized you already had that list of equipment...thought it was your shopping list. Oops... :eek: Guess my first two suggestions won't help you much, but maybe it will help someone else...

It's all good. I appreciated seeing your setup either way and a vinator was something I had looked at recently online

Im not against diy on the wort chiller but it would be sweet if it would save me a couple bucks. What price am i lookin at for that project?

I just made a 3/8" 20ft copper chiller for about $38. I purchased all my supplies at Menards and used a paint can to wind the tube around. It took me about 20 minutes to put it together and I chilled a 3 gallon boil down to 68 degrees in about 8 minutes. I did have a ice bath in the sink at the same time. Definitely worth it! Here is the link I built it from-
http://www.notsoprofessionalbeer.com/2010/11/make-your-own-wort-chiller.html

rydia131 said:
Im not against diy on the wort chiller but it would be sweet if it would save me a couple bucks. What price am i lookin at for that project?

I just made a 3/8" 20ft copper chiller for about $38. I purchased all my supplies at Menards and used a paint can to wind the tube around. It took me about 20 minutes to put it together and I chilled a 3 gallon boil down to 68 degrees in about 8 minutes. I did have a ice bath in the sink at the same time. Definitely worth it! Here is the link I built it from-

I'm going to go against the grain and say a wort chiller doesn't need to be at the top of your list. I whirlpool in an ice bath in a reasonable amount of time, and when I start All Grain BIAB I plan doing a no-chill method.

Just my 2 cents.

BrewerBS said:

Awesome! Thanks for the link! I will definitely be doing that in the near future. And at that price it should save me about half the money I'd spend on one online+shipping. On a different note, someone mentioned a stir plate for yeast starters. While that sounds like it would drastically improve the fermentation and in turn the quality of beer produced, it seems pretty overwhelming. Maybe I'm just a new brewer and am having trouble grasping the process. Not sure. Is this a good direction for a beginner or should my focus be on simpler upgrades?

Awesome! Thanks for the link! I will definitely be doing that in the near future. And at that price it should save me about half the money I'd spend on one online+shipping. On a different note, someone mentioned a stir plate for yeast starters. While that sounds like it would drastically improve the fermentation and in turn the quality of beer produced, it seems pretty overwhelming. Maybe I'm just a new brewer and am having trouble grasping the process. Not sure. Is this a good direction for a beginner or should my focus be on simpler upgrades?

In my opinion, the stir plate can wait. Concentrate on sanitization and process first as a new brewer.

I am new myself, have done 4 extract brews and I am planning my first AG (BIAB). I haven't done a starter yet. Pitched 3 dry yeasts, and did 1 rehydrated yeast. All batches have been great.

geoffm33 said:
In my opinion, the stir plate can wait. Concentrate on sanitization and process first as a new brewer.

I am new myself, have done 4 extract brews and I am planning my first AG (BIAB). I haven't done a starter yet. Pitched 3 dry yeasts, and did 1 rehydrated yeast. All batches have been great.

Yeh the stir plate felt like something that was a little too advanced for me qt this point but since it was suggested i just wanted to see what others felt. Thanks!

I built a stirplate for my 4th batch. Making a starter is very easy and will improve your beer when using liquid yeast. Stirstarter.com is the best place.to buy one if you don't want to build it.

grem135 said:
I built a stirplate for my 4th batch. Making a starter is very easy and will improve your beer when using liquid yeast. Stirstarter.com is the best place.to buy one if you don't want to build it.

Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future

I love my refractometer ... but you need both. A refractometer won't work well on liquids with ethanol (like your finished beer). Besides that hydrometer jar is your first taste of your finished beer!

A few suggestions from what I do. I brew Partial Mashes in 5 gallon batches and 1 gallon all grain batches.

1. With a 6 gallon carboy better fill it up with fruit or dry hops. Don't want too much head space or you may risk oxidation. I prefer 5 gallons for my secondary cause my dry hopping barely takes up any space.

2. Make sure to have a cooling method. Lots of people recommend wort chillers. But if you're just doing extracts and doing the 2-3 gallons of wort and top off method (which I recommend) you can easily chill that in a sink or bathtub full of ice water (my brother and I use a keg tub)

3. StarSan. I didn't have it when I started brewing, it makes life so much easier though. Only needs about a minute of contact time to sanitize, has yeast nutrients, great stuff.

4. Have you read How to Brew by John Palmer? If not I would recommend reading it, it will give you a little more insight without getting too in depth and you can use just the basics and slowly digest all the information as the months and years go on.

5. Make sure you have all the proper cleaning equipment. So if you're using your carboy, make sure you have a way to clean it, also a bottle cleaning brush. And make sure you have a way to clean your fermenter with something non-abrasive. Don't want to scratch the plastic.

6. Having a few extra air locks lying around isn't bad. At a buck a pop they're not expensive and if you lose one or one is damaged (MOLD) you can swap out for another one without having to make a run or an order. I have 4 airlocks right now. I use at most 2 I will probably use 2-3 more so next LHBS trip I'm going to get another 2-3 since in the later parts of the summer I'll have some more stuff sitting in fermenters.

Not really a suggestion on what equipment to buy but a listing in order of importance - IMO
1) cleaning
2) sanitation
3) brewing temperature control - a good thermometer is a must.
4) chilling - this can be an ice bath with smaller/extract batches
5) fermentation temperature control
6) Yeast pitching make starters if using liquid yeast
7) expand your horizons. All grain? I have done extract, partial mash, and all grain both with a mash tun and BIAB. Personally, I do not like BIAB. I don't like the heavy, hot, wet, sticky, messy bag of spent grain you have to deal with.

I keep upgrading in all these areas while working on #7 Recently started kegging.

I love my refractometer ... but you need both. A refractometer won't work well on liquids with ethanol (like your finished beer). Besides that hydrometer jar is your first taste of your finished beer!

Hey LBussy...I used to live in KC and love Boulevard Wheat beer--I really miss having it available on tap!

I just want to make sure I'm not totally missing something...but I use BeerSmith and it has a built in refractometer tool. I also know there are other similar tools on the internet. Don't they use a formula to compensate for the alcohol--allowing me to get an accurate FG reading using a refractometer?

I just want to make sure I'm not totally missing something...but I use BeerSmith and it has a built in refractometer tool. I also know there are other similar tools on the internet. Don't they use a formula to compensate for the alcohol--allowing me to get an accurate FG reading using a refractometer?
Like a lot of things, there are multiple very smart people who came up with those formulas to figure this stuff out. Generally I'm not smart enough to know which one is "right" but I know a hydrometer works.

I didn't see a thermometer, that's a necessity.

I'll second the Starsan. Other than that, patience and attention to detail are all that's needed.

Best of luck, happy brewing
Pete

Rhumbline said:
I didn't see a thermometer, that's a necessity.

I'll second the Starsan. Other than that, patience and attention to detail are all that's needed.

Best of luck, happy brewing
Pete

I have a candy thermometer that I used with my first brew. Not the easiest to read but it did the job. Before my next batch I figure ill buy a standard dial thermometer and in the near future I like the idea of having a digi as well.
Star San is the other thing I know I have to buy before my next batch. Any other cleaning/sanitizing tools that people found useful/necessary?

Also, how to brew by John Palmer...is this the best all around brewing book to buy? I'm looking to pick something up.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Star San is the other thing I know I have to buy before my next batch. Any other cleaning/sanitizing tools that people found useful/necessary?
PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) is something that you will eventually appreciate. It is a cleaner which will take off the nastiest stuff. Some folks make their own with TSP and Oxy-Clean but I find it easier just to buy it with another order and know I have it ready rather than trying to mix some up when I need it. It is awesome for cleaning out a brew pot or primary.

You will know when you need it. :)

Also, how to brew by John Palmer...is this the best all around brewing book to buy? I'm looking to pick something up. [...]For those of you who have read or own How to brew, is this the actual book? I just stumbled on it looking for a price online.
That is one of the better books, however like everything there exists more than one way to do things. I think John defaults to being very conservative which is probably better than sloppy. The online book is his 1st edition, the print variety is 3rd edition. I don't own either but the "collective" here generally feels the 3rd corrects some important things. If however you followed the 1st religiously you would be fine - as I said he faults to the conservative. Yes that is his site.

How big is your brew kettle?

You should be planning to jump to either 10 or 15 gal ASAP so you can do full volume boils. Then you will really need the chiller.

And temp control. I had a free used fridge and added the STC 1000 controller from Amazon for about $30. Makes a big difference in product. Search "temperature control". If you don't have a used fridge or room for one search "fermentation chamber". There are some cool plans out there that build insulated boxes and cool with ice and fans and the STC1000 controller. Was thinking about doing that when I scored the fridge.

Cool..never heard of PBW so that sounds pretty awesome.

As far as my kettle i only have a 5 gallon for now. Id love to get a fridge for temp control. Ive read some things on here about it and it sounds pretty sweet. Ill have to look into that in the future. Thanks!!

Back