Use reclaimed sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Could you use reclaimed sanke in your brewery? I mean if you buy used sankes that are headed to the scrap yard could you refurbish them and now use them as your own in your brewery and to distribute....I've asked this in other places and haven't got a definite answer.

My home brewery is mostly sanke. I use keggles, ferment in 1/4 and 1/2 bbls CCPF and serve from them.

Can you put your Homebrew in a Sanke then use them in your kegerator(like a Corney)? Yes

Can you put your Homebrew in it, then sell it to a friend to drink? Yes, but it would be against the law. (at lease in most states if not all) you would need a licence to distribute the beer.

i think what the OP is asking is if you have a commercial brewery do you have to purchase new sanke kegs to distribute your product, or can you use other breweries decommissioned kegs. i don't know the answer.

i think what the OP is asking is if you have a commercial brewery do you have to purchase new sanke kegs to distribute your product, or can you use other breweries decommissioned kegs. i don't know the answer.

This is exactly my question ...

i'm sure they've been decommissioned for a reason.. i doubt any brewery would get rid of kegs that still have some functional value to them
The bigger breweries will decommission their kegs when they get dents. The dents create shadows that don't get cleaned right on their systems. Boneyard used to buy pallets of Deschutes kegs as soon as they hit the scrapyard, now Deschutes punches holes in the sides of their kegs before scrapping them.

There is a large market for used sanke kegs in breweries. Many breweries rent or buy used kegs, so yes, you can distribute in used kegs if you are a licensed brewery.

I'm in the process of starting but no one had been able to answer this question and i can't see myself buying new sanke if i could buy used for about less than a third of the price

One more link

Code of keg conduct and an excerpt:

According to Federal law, a brewer may not sell beer in a keg bearing identification marks of more than one brewery, or of a different brewery. Be sure kegs you purchase do not bear the mark of another brewery or brands. And know that you are required to notify TTB of your plans to repurpose another brewer’s kegs before doing so.

One more link

Code of keg conduct and an excerpt:

According to Federal law, a brewer may not sell beer in a keg bearing identification marks of more than one brewery, or of a different brewery. Be sure kegs you purchase do not bear the mark of another brewery or brands. And know that you are required to notify TTB of your plans to repurpose another brewer’s kegs before doing so.

I'm going to read everything now...as for the TTB i guess after reading i will most likely be discouraged about it so i may not have to contact them...Already had a meeting with them and i needed a drink after leaving due to all the guidelines

Ok so this is clear

I have seen "decommissioned" kegs have have the logo "defaced" so as too show that it is no longer in circulation.

On another note....if breweries are so worried about people keeping their kegs why don't they just increase the keg deposit to the point that the deposit would pay for a brand new keg? Seems like a simple problem to solve.

I have seen "decommissioned" kegs have have the logo "defaced" so as too show that it is no longer in circulation.

On another note....if breweries are so worried about people keeping their kegs why don't they just increase the keg deposit to the point that the deposit would pay for a brand new keg? Seems like a simple problem to solve.

The problem there is that a deposit that high is considered prohibitive to most sales, if you start charging $150 deposit on a keg, you aren't going to be selling many kegs. Believe me, the idea has been thrown around and shot down every time for that very reason.

One alternative is pubkeg, they are a recyclable, plastic keg that comes form the manufacturer cleaned and pressurized. A reasonable deposit, lower than the average keg deposit in fact, can cover the cost of the keg. They only come in sixtels though, but many bars are moving that way since they can get more beers on tap using the smaller footprint.

The problem there is that a deposit that high is considered prohibitive to most sales, if you start charging $150 deposit on a keg, you aren't going to be selling many kegs. Believe me, the idea has been thrown around and shot down every time for that very reason.

One alternative is pubkeg, they are a recyclable, plastic keg that comes form the manufacturer cleaned and pressurized. A reasonable deposit, lower than the average keg deposit in fact, can cover the cost of the keg. They only come in sixtels though, but many bars are moving that way since they can get more beers on tap using the smaller footprint.

I've seen these and thought of using them.. Also wondered how they would be accepted by distributors and end user

I've seen these and thought of using them.. Also wondered how they would be accepted by distributors and end user

I just switched my homebrew to pub kegs. So far I like them. They are light weight and easily breakdown for cleaning. They look professional so I wouldn't worry about end users and they are cheaper than ss so if they keep them you aren't out as much.

I just switched my homebrew to pub kegs. So far I like them. They are light weight and easily breakdown for cleaning. They look professional so I wouldn't worry about end users and they are cheaper than ss so if they keep them you aren't out as much.

I will be calling my local distribution center today and ask about the guidelines to me using this..if all is well i may be ordering very soon

Ok here is the issue with pubkeg..they are only 5 gallons.. distributors don't mind picking up 5 gallon sets but the cost isn't worth the business which is why they recommend 15 gallon kegs..also the pubkegs are a one time use container.Even though their price is extremely cheap (for the insert) it may only be a good thing if used at the pub and not for distribution.

Ok here is the issue with pubkeg..they are only 5 gallons.. distributors don't mind picking up 5 gallon sets but the cost isn't worth the business which is why they recommend 15 gallon kegs..also the pubkegs are a one time use container.Even though their price is extremely cheap (for the insert) it may only be a good thing if used at the pub and not for distribution.

I don't know what it is like where you are, but the distributor I spoke with specifically recommended sixtels over halves. He said that most bars are going to sixtels so they can have more handles- smaller footprint of sixtel=more room for additional beers.

I don't know what it is like where you are, but the distributor I spoke with specifically recommended sixtels over halves. He said that most bars are going to sixtels so they can have more handles- smaller footprint of sixtel=more room for additional beers.

As some more motivation for the sixtels, I don't work in a brewery but have volunteered in multiple breweries, and the price per ounce is much higher when you sell sixtels everywhere I see. For example I won't say who but I've seen bars happy to pay $90 for a sixtel where the half barrel of the same beer is selling for $170. That is a huge markup for the sixtel.

As some more motivation for the sixtels, I don't work in a brewery but have volunteered in multiple breweries, and the price per ounce is much higher when you sell sixtels everywhere I see. For example I won't say who but I've seen bars happy to pay $90 for a sixtel where the half barrel of the same beer is selling for $170. That is a huge markup for the sixtel.

I'm going to have to research that with my rep...i prefer sixtel...give me move brew to sell to others

I'm going to have to research that with my rep...i prefer sixtel...give me move brew to sell to others
Fwiw Pub kegs are sixtels or 5.2 gallons.

Also, you can reuse but they need to be clean using a low pressure technique.

Back