Bourbon Stout Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4traindays

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a Oaked bourbon stout, need some recipe feedback. Here's what I've got:
6 lb dark lme
3 lb amber lme

16 oz chocolate malt
4 oz roasted barley
4 oz black malt

2 oz northern brewer @ 60
1 oz goldings @ 10

Wlp007 or wlp002

12 oz bourbon
2 oz med American oak cubes

I'd really like to have the stout have some great chocolate/coffee flavors. Hopefully the bourbon will add a touch of vanilla as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

4traindays said:
I'm looking to brew a Oaked bourbon stout, need some recipe feedback. Here's what I've got:
6 lb dark lme
3 lb amber lme

16 oz chocolate malt
4 oz roasted barley
4 oz black malt

1 oz goldings @ 10

Wlp007 or wlp002

12 oz bourbon

I'd really like to have the stout have some great chocolate/coffee flavors. Hopefully the bourbon will add a touch of vanilla as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I would soak one or two vanilla beans in the bourbon in a jar during primary and add it all to the secondary.

6 lb dark lme
3 lb amber lme

16 oz chocolate malt
4 oz roasted barley
4 oz black malt

1 oz goldings @ 10

Wlp007 or wlp002

12 oz bourbon

i might add a small handful of smoked grain, you will get some of it from the oak chips but not that much. also i use WY1056 on this brew, i like the clean finish with it and maybe one more OZ at 10mins.

Just bottled a porter that I threw in secondary on 375ml of bourbon that had 1 vanilla bean and 1.5oz oak chips soaking in it for 6 days in the fridge.

Tasting it as i bottled today, the bourbon is what comes through fairly strong for now, but it smells fantastic. I definitely support the whole vanilla bean, cut open and scraped in. All those little dots are the seeds. The more the merrier.

G'luck!

I happen do a lot of bourbon recipes. I guess I can't help it being from the Bluegrass state!

First thoughts on recipe is that that looks like a lot of chocolate malt. Maybe consider breaking that up into some other malts, but that is a personal thing.

From my experience with oak/bourbon, I would recommend upping the oak cubes to 3 or 4 oz, soaked in 12 oz bourbon for at least 4 weeks. I use a pint jar or similar.

When you transfer to a 2nd and add all of the oak and bourbon and let the beer sit on it for 3-7 (2-5 for a pale ale, etc) weeks. Taste frequently and as you get to where you want your vanilla notes then bottle quickly. Flavor can change rapidly in just 48 hours. I often add another 4-8 oz bourbon and another packet of yeast at bottling. Condition for 4 (pale) -12 (stout) weeks.

Hope that helps.

If you are into coffee/chocolate flavors as well, you may want to try a Founders KBS clone. I will brew that in August and it will be ready by mid-December.

Thanks so much for the replies. What malts would you recommend I use to replace some of the chocolate malt? And how much?

Thanks so much for the replies. What malts would you recommend I use to replace some of the chocolate malt? And how much?

Actually, I will go ahead and recant that statement. 1lb of choc. malt should be good. (I use slightly less in my recipes, and a bit more roasted barley, but we are splitting hairs.)

Sorry about that!

Latest posts

Back