Wyeast Dennies Favorite question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
I have a smack pack of Wyeast Dennies Favorite 1450 form augest 27th 2012 It was in my fridge all that time...

Is it still good ?
It is swelled a bit I can't activate the pack...
What is the best way to get the pack going ? I heard I had to smack it 1 day per month of age... That would mean 9 days ?

It should be ok.

It has approximately 12% viability left according to YeastCalc.

1.) Smack it if you can.
2.) Make a 1L starter and step it up to 2L or just make a 2L starter and step up if necessary.

Try using a yeast calculator like YeastCalc, MrMalty or BrewersFriend to approximate these things.

If you're making a starter you don't even need to smack the pack. From the horse's mouth.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

Smacking though fun, is never really necessary.

Making the starter is all that matters, not whether or not the pack inflating. It's fine!!!
There's no need to start with a smaller starter or anything. Just proceed as normal.

Heck I rarely even bother waiting for it to inflate, I pop the nutrient pack, give it a shake, and dump it into my starter wort. Saves waiting.

I was looking on youtube they say 2 cups of water for 1/2 cup of DME, then I have to gonti the science lab !!! I don't have that glass becon that swirls, can i use a mason jar with a lid ?

I have a smack pack of Wyeast Dennies Favorite 1450 form augest 27th 2012 It was in my fridge all that time...

Is it still good ?
It is swelled a bit I can't activate the pack...
What is the best way to get the pack going ? I heard I had to smack it 1 day per month of age... That would mean 9 days ?

Wyeast advises that Smack Packs have a 6 month "shelf life" for optimum quality. It may still work, but you may want to get a second pack just in case.

Back