Another glass carboy horror story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
Yesterday was going great, until I had to take a trip to the ER.

I had a 1 gallon carboy explode on my leg. I forgotten about it in my garage, and it had some pear wine overflow in it from winter. I stupidly capped it with the provided screw top. All it took was the slightest bump and BOOM! glass shrapnel everywhere, including my left leg.

5 stitches and a walking boot later, I'm all good.

The main laceration went deep enough to slice part of my calf muscle, just above my achilles tendon. I'm very lucky my 2year old assistant was napping inside when this happened.

Just a reminder to all, ALWAYS let your glass vessels vent via airlock!

I store my washed yeast in glass jars, and I will always let them vent when I remove them from the fridge!

On a side note, I think I'll be removing all glass from my brewhouse. Buckets and kegs from now on for me.

Exactly why I have my ale pail,Cooper's micro brew fv,& plastic bottling bucket. Just traded 45 Cooper's PET bottles I don't really use anymore for a 6G better bottle for oaking & the like. No glass for me,save for my hydrometer,floating thermometer,& 12oz bottles. Those carboys are regular glass,& break easily. Not for me at my age.
I was in the kitchen,getting ready to carve a big chunk of meat. Grabbed a big sharp knife & had to toss it on the island to do something else first. I only tossed it a matter of inches. Damn thing bounced like a rubber ball,blade down towards the floor. Cut down to the tendon on my right foot big toe. Wrapped it up in towels & plastic bags to hit the hospital. I still think the tendon is damaged. Same area I brew in as well. So I'm def more carefull nowadays.

I'm a glass guy (have 4) but as I use the Better bottle, I really like them. I got two and then another two. Feel better soon and do what the doc tells ya.

well what did you expect?

seriously. this kind of comment is unnecessary. he even said "stupidly". I've done some silly things before when I was brewing because I need a third hand and didn't have it. we all make mistakes.

OP I'm glad you're ok. Lesson learned I'm sure. I know I'll be extra careful when using glassware.

I'm a glass guy (have 4) but as I use the Better bottle, I really like them. I got two and then another two. Feel better soon and do what the doc tells ya.

Yeah, I love my glass too. This is the first incident I've had in well over a hundred batches of beer and wine. It's gonna b tough to give it up, but I think with kids in the house now its probably wise.

seriously. this kind of comment is unnecessary. he even said "stupidly". I've done some silly things before when I was brewing because I need a third hand and didn't have it. we all make mistakes.

OP I'm glad you're ok. Lesson learned I'm sure. I know I'll be extra careful when using glassware.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll pull through.

As far as that other poster is concerned, I've got pretty thick skin...except for one spot. :rockin:

Glad to hear it was not too serious. Hope you mend well and soon.

I had decided against glass when I started 2 years ago because of the weight mostly. I have never regretted the decision for even 1 minute. And if you read my posts/replies I take every chance I can get to recommend against glass.

Here's a pic-

20130601_170719.jpg

Hope you get better. I made the choice of using plastic because my sons help me. I read about all the horror stories and am glad I made the choice. Good luck bud.

WOW! Man that really got you good! Sheds new light on just how dangerous it can be!

kh54s10 said:
Glad to hear it was not too serious. Hope you mend well and soon.

I had decided against glass when I started 2 years ago because of the weight mostly. I have never regretted the decision for even 1 minute. And if you read my posts/replies I take every chance I can get to recommend against glass.

Not trying to start an argument, but how can you recommend against glass if you decided not to use it from the beginning? (I.e. you've never used it.)

Love my glass (I have six carboys. Read: Not nearly enough!) and I never have to worry about infection from scratches and such. I realize that plastic can make just as good a beer but glass has its advantages. Here's a tip I learned too, put them in a plastic milk crate to carry, works wonders. Obviously the better bottles are extremely similar in regards to the experience of using glass but they aren't completely non-permeable. I'd like to think there is a reason I spend all the money I do on the glass other than looks and pride but maybe I'm wrong.

Not to mention that an exploding plastic container (not sure how you would manage that, but still) can cause just as serious an injury.

Besides, they look shiny! ;-)

Back