Brewtarget projected volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
What is up with Brewtarget? I used this a few years back, and it was always spot on, my main complaint was a lack of documentation .... now when I put in a 5 gallon recipe, it projects a 2.90 gal batch. To test this I even upped the boil volume for 60 min to 8 gallons, and still it only showed a projected batch of 3.54 gallons. The one thing I can say for the current Brewtarget is that it's too bad they never put up some documentation so that if you have questions, you can look it up and see whatever you're doing wrong that needs to be changed. Mikfire once suggested that we put together a manual, but as a computer illiterate, I'm the last person that could figure out how to make this computer stuff work - I've got to be lead by the hand ;>). Maybe one of these days they'll hopefully grow up to be as efficient/user friendly as BeerSmith is on M$ Winblows. There don't seem to be a lot of threads about Brewtarget, so maybe the project is dead, which is a crying shame, cuz I hate Winblows and would much rather use Linux apps.

The best I can do is upload the manual for you (attached).

My only gripe is that version 2.3.0 borked my ability to print recipes :(

Attachments

• BT user-manual-en.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 146
There don't seem to be a lot of threads about Brewtarget, so maybe the project is dead, which is a crying shame, cuz I hate Winblows and would much rather use Linux apps.

Since you prefer Linux so much, why dont you write one? Or run BeerSmith in a Windows VM... :D

The best I can do is upload the manual for you (attached).

My only gripe is that version 2.3.0 borked my ability to print recipes :(
The work around is to save to an HTML file then open this file in a word processor {MSWord, etc.} do any editing that you deem appropriate and print from there.

@ Nagorg - apparently you didn't read my whole post ;>).:
"Mikfire once suggested that we put together a manual, but as a computer illiterate, I'm the last person that could figure out how to make this computer stuff work - I've got to be lead by the hand ;>)."​
A. since I'm a computer illiterate, that would be why I can't figure out haw to write a manual for something I can't figure out in the first place.
B. Since I'm a computer illiterate, I don't know how to VM anything, much less Brewtarget or BeerSmith!
HTH, MT2sum

@ masskrug. THX for the manual, it is much appreciated! I will now spend some time reading it b4 I ask too many dumb questions. As far as printing problems, i can't help you there .... I can't even figure out how to hook up a printer to this laptop! One of these days .......

@nealm - Thanks for that info ... If I get a printer hooked up, that will be valuable info. Copied & pasted to Libre Office!

@MT2sum LOL But I have to say... Not sure how you could use Linux (actually prefer it) but be computer illiterate! But I digress... Hope that manual helps. I've played around with BrewTarget and I understand it was once king (or was it ProMash...?). But since started using BeerSmith, no others will do. The online tools dont cut the mustard for me either...

Good Luck!

Brewtarget is still developing, but the next intended update (2.4) is still in the works. Not sure when the expected release date is.

@pricelessbrewing
Brewtarget is still developing, but the next intended update (2.4) is still in the works. Not sure when the expected release date is.
THX, maybe I'll just have to look into BeerSmith for Linux - thing is, I've read that the Linux version is "not ready for prime time' but I have no experience with the Linux version, so I don't know. If anyone knows of any other open source brew apps, I'd like to check into them as well, if you can provide me the links.

A quick search finds a couple positive posts about BeerTools Pro. There is even an article posted on HBT where the author says he uses it and finds the IBU calculations to be fairly accurate.

" I use BeerTools Pro for creating my recipes, and the IBU calculator in that software is always very close to these calculations."
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/formulating-balanced-beer-recipes.html

@pricelessbrewing

THX, maybe I'll just have to look into BeerSmith for Linux - thing is, I've read that the Linux version is "not ready for prime time' but I have no experience with the Linux version, so I don't know. If anyone knows of any other open source brew apps, I'd like to check into them as well, if you can provide me the links.

What are you looking for in a software? If your only complaint right now is the projected volumes in brewtarget, I could help trouble shoot. It's probably part of the equipment profile OTOH.

Really the only native linux app I can think of is brewtarget. Everything else is a web app, or mac/windows only.

A quick search finds a couple positive posts about BeerTools Pro. There is even an article posted on HBT where the author says he uses it and finds the IBU calculations to be fairly accurate.

" I use BeerTools Pro for creating my recipes, and the IBU calculator in that software is always very close to these calculations."
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/formulating-balanced-beer-recipes.html
Thanks, it says they have a 'free trial' so I'll take a look in a few days - got a lot goin right now. I appreciate the help!

@pricelessbrewing I finally figured out what I had done wrong - I chose one of their default equipments. I had to read the manual and also play around a little bit to create a new equipment profile for BIAB with an 8 gallon kettle ... now everything looks much better! Thanks for the hint! I put in a new recipe and it seems to work fine now, so I'm a happy camper as far as not having to pay for the Linux version of BeerSmith ;>).

While I was messing around, I clicked on something removed my icon bar, and then while trying to fix that problem I clicked on another button which gave me the option of a full screen view, (bad move), now I've got no icon bar at the top, and the full screen button has disappeared - I have to use ctrl Q to close the program and none of the menu buttons will give me the screen options again so that I can reduce the size. For these problems, the manual is no help, hopefully the author will see this post and write some updates in there to explain how to re-acquire the buttons needed to go back to normal/original view. Also, when I open the manual, it has no back button so that I can go back to the design page - it shuts BrewTarget clear down .... any advice?

@pricelessbrewing I finally figured out what I had done wrong - I chose one of their default equipments. I had to read the manual and also play around a little bit to create a new equipment profile for BIAB with an 8 gallon kettle ... now everything looks much better! Thanks for the hint! I put in a new recipe and it seems to work fine now, so I'm a happy camper as far as not having to pay for the Linux version of BeerSmith ;>).

While I was messing around, I clicked on something removed my icon bar, and then while trying to fix that problem I clicked on another button which gave me the option of a full screen view, (bad move), now I've got no icon bar at the top, and the full screen button has disappeared - I have to use ctrl Q to close the program and none of the menu buttons will give me the screen options again so that I can reduce the size. For these problems, the manual is no help, hopefully the author will see this post and write some updates in there to explain how to re-acquire the buttons needed to go back to normal/original view. Also, when I open the manual, it has no back button so that I can go back to the design page - it shuts BrewTarget clear down .... any advice?

If this is a bug exclusive to linux I can't comment, but I'll take a look for windows.

1. Clicked a button to remove icon bar / full screen. Tried clicking all the buttons along the top and side, nothing changed the icon "ribbon" to borrow microsoft office terms.
  2. Page back in manual. At least in windows, the manual is a seperate PDF that opens in whatever your default pdf reader is. Might be integrated differently in linux, but I'd take a look at your PDF reader. Maybe try a different one?

Note that brewtarget makes the follow distinction.

1. Expected: Software estimated values based on the recipe and equipment, ie used for planning.
  2. Projected: Software estimated values based on brewday measurements. ie used to make on the fly adjustments.

@pricelessbrewing Thanks! It'll get better. I only have a couple of things to fix so far. Since you mentioned the manual, it was a button in BrewTarget itself that I clicked, not the PDF that masskrug posted. I found the button in the "About" menu.

@ Nagorg I already have the Winblows version of BeerSmith as I said, I just want something for my Linux installs. Debian and antiX are both pretty much user friendly, and not intrusive and obnoxious like Winblows 10, which I just dumped for a Win7 Pro lappy - - - Win 10? - lappy and all, gone!

Last edited:
@pricelessbrewing - I don't know what I did, but I've got the icon 'ribbon' back - I still can't find a close 'X' in the r/h corner, but I'm working on that. I don't know what happened, or why, but it erased all of my other recipes :>(, so I guess I'll have to put them back in. I kinda wish the manual had a little bit more info on how to trouble shoot problems like I'm experiencing .... but that's life, maybe the testers never had these things happen to them ... you always want more - never happy with what you got! LOL

Maybe since I've only got one recipe loaded now, I should just d/l a whole new BrewTarget, huh? Forgot to say, it also wiped out all of the BT recipes as well .......

Lol stop clicking buttons all willy nilly! Probably a good move on resetting brewtarget since you're basically fresh anyways.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I click all the buttons to see what the program has and what it can do for me .... I guess I punched a couple too many buttons ;>), ya think?

Just removed and re-installed BrewTarget - let's just hope I can resist punching buttons w/o reading about
the specific need to do so in the manual first!
Thanks folks!

Back