brewtarget and klarstein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronytrombone

ronytrombone
Reaction score
Hi
I've been trying to match the brewtarget mash profile against what I actually do. This is probably just a terminology issue I wondered if anyone else has been here before.
I use a klarstein "same as ace micro brewer" usually start with 18l then mash for 75 minutes circulating throughout.
Next I use another 18l of sparge pouring through the raised grain basket. Then remove the grain basket and boil.
So how does this translate into brewtarget's mash steps ?
At the moment things are not quite right as I am ending up with a bit too much in the fermenter and a slightly weaker brew.
Any advice would be gratefully received here - thanks

Welcome to the forum !

I'm not quite understanding your question. Are you asking why your getting too much in the fermenter ? It seems like you adding way too much water . 18L mash plus 18L sparge ? That's 36 L of water .

It depends on your size of batch , grain bill and boil off . A little more insight of your process would help.

Welcome to the forum !

I'm not quite understanding your question. Are you asking why your getting too much in the fermenter ? It seems like you adding way too much water . 18L mash plus 18L sparge ? That's 36 L of water .

It depends on your size of batch , grain bill and boil off . A little more insight of your process would help.
Yes my last brew was 24l in the fermenting bin (so I boiled off and lost 12 l to grain absorbtion)
I think its my mash profile in brewtarget that is wrong as in the brewday brewtarget did tell me to use 2X 18l - UI can add details of my mash steps and equipment profile in BT if that would help.

I usually use between 10-16 #'s of grain , depending on the beer . I think my IPA has 12#. The total water amount is a tad under 8 gallons. I brew 5 to 5.5 gallon batches . Every system is probably different. I would look at other brew programs . Check out Brun water , mash made easy I think and brewers friend . I guess 36 L isnt as much as I thought it was .

OK I think I've found it - Brewtarget in the mash I have 18l conversion for 1 hr followed by a final batch sparge for 15 mins - on the mash wiz I'm setting 3.5l/Kg which now gives me 11.363l in the sparge
Does anyone have a sample equipment profile and mash steps for klarstein/ace microbrewery equipment - be interesting to compare notes.

Latest posts

Back