question about cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temeculabrewer

Reaction score
Will the alcohol content be affected by a 3 day cold crash in the secondary fermenter. I emptied the water from the airlock and replaced in the stopper to act as a cover.

No, unless you cold crash before fermentation has finished...which you obviously want to avoid. Once your gravity is stable you can go ahead and cold crash which will have no affect on the alcohol content.

Cold crashing (I like 4-5 days @ 35*F) has no effect at all on the ABV. It just helps clear the beer and compact the yeast/trub cake.

Don't do what I did on my last brew and bring it out of cold crash to temp up for bottling only 8 hours to bottling day.

'It'll be alright'

Pfft no, I had to bottle at 11C :mad::mug:

Don't do what I did on my last brew and bring it out of cold crash to temp up for bottling only 8 hours to bottling day.

'It'll be alright'

What's wrong with that? I take mine out of cold crash (35-36*F), immediately rack into the bottling bucket, prime, and bottle. The only effect is that it takes a day or two longer to carb.

'It'll be alright'

The temp at bottling doesn't matter. As long as you let the bottles sit at room temp they will still carb.

I thought cold crashing clears out most of the remaining yeast in suspension. Is there still enough yeast remaining to bottle and get some decent carbonation?

I thought cold crashing clears out most of the remaining yeast in suspension. Is there still enough yeast remaining to bottle and get some decent carbonation?

It does drop most of the yeast out of suspension, but there will still be plenty of yeast for carbonation.

Back