General rules on high alpha hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I have purchased a 1lb bag of Columbus with alpha-13.9%. I am planning on using it mainly as a bittering hop in most of my upcoming beers. I am tempted to use it on a summer brew that I am doing- which features a low IBU of about 20.

With that recipe, it would allow .25oz for bittering (70 minute boils are what I have adopted) and still give me room for my late addition hops (saaz).

When the qty of hops decreases (for bittering) is there any other change to the beer composition/flavor etc -- or anything I need to be aware of?

I suppose I just have not seen many recipes calling for .25oz of bittering hops and want to be sure that I have not overlooked something.

theres no issue with using high AA hops to bitter with in small quantities, in fact it makes good financial sense

columbus can be a little harsh as a bittering addition and maintains some "dankness" IME - something to keep in mind, esp with a more delicate hop like saaz

Back