Brewsmith way off base on DP and yield?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faustmeister

Reaction score
I set up 4 test recipes on Beersmith, all with Wyeast 1056 yeast. Results:
Ingredients OG TG ABV
A. 10 US 2-row pale .050 .012 4.9%
B. 5 US 2-row pale
5 Black patent .042 . 010 4.2%
C. 10 Black patent .036 .009 3.5%
D. 10 Carapils .045 .011 4.5%
The results suggest that 500L black patent has both enzymes & fermentable sugars in substantial amounts, and Carapils even more so, almost as productive as 2-row pale.
Can we trust them for recipes with more than minimal amounts of such ingredients?
Suggestions?

I set up 4 test recipes on Beersmith, all with Wyeast 1056 yeast. Results:
Ingredients OG TG ABV
A. 10 US 2-row pale .050 .012 4.9%
B. 5 US 2-row pale
5 Black patent .042 . 010 4.2%
C. 10 Black patent .036 .009 3.5%
D. 10 Carapils .045 .011 4.5%
The results suggest that 500L black patent has both enzymes & fermentable sugars in substantial amounts, and Carapils even more so, almost as productive as 2-row pale.
Can we trust them for recipes with more than minimal amounts of such ingredients?
Suggestions?

Well, the malts do have fermentable sugars, but I don't think Beersmith has DP in any of the calculations. I know that Brewer's Friend does, but that may be the only one.

The PPPG for the malts listed in BeerSmith come directly off the maltster's data sheets. I have yet to find them significantly different in reality from what the maltster has reported. I do, however, update the specifications for the malts that I use regularly based upon the COA for the lot number I am using.

Well, the malts do have fermentable sugars, but I don't think Beersmith has DP in any of the calculations. I know that Brewer's Friend does, but that may be the only one.

Yes, black patent has some residual sugar, but, as you surmise, Beersmith shows 0.0 Lintner DP for black patent. So where do the enzymes come from to produce the alcohol Beersmith shows for recipes C? And ditto dor D; Beersmith shows 0.0 DP for Carapils.

Yes, black patent has some residual sugar, but, as you surmise, Beersmith shows 0.0 Lintner DP for black patent. So where do the enzymes come from to produce the alcohol Beersmith shows for recipes C? And ditto dor D; Beersmith shows 0.0 DP for Carapils.

Those grains don’t have to be mashed to give up fermentable sugars since they are pre-mashed so to speak.

Back