Correct amount starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero_gabe

Reaction score
So I am brewing a clone of greenflash west coast ipa. It has an estimated OG of 1.072 and is a batch size of 6 gallons. After plugging the numbers into beer smith, it said i needed a cell count of 290 billion which comes out to be a 1.8 L starter. Does this sound right? It seemed a bit too much to me. What do you guys think? Will one vial do, or do i need two vials for this starter?

depends on the date of the vial, but yeastcalc.com says 1.5 should get the right pitch amount..

That sounds about right. You need more yeast than you think. I always try to do a single vial starter, and adjust the volume to get the right number of cells.

Okay cool. So when they refer to the starter thats the size including the wort right? Im assuming the size will drop due to crashing and decanting the wort.

Yea, that's your total volume. Once it's fermented out, you can crash the starter overnight and then just pitch the slurry at the bottom.

Okay sounds good. One more question, whts the recommended fermentation time before crashing the starter?

If you have a stir plate, 24 hours is totally sufficient. Otherwise, you kind of need to judge it yourself. When you stop seeing gas bubble out when you swirl it, it's mostly done. It'll have a little krausen that will rise and fall and that should give you a rough idea.

Awesome! Thank you sooo much for your help! From one home brewer to another!

Back