Pondering a new stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwcm

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thinking about trying out a new stout recipe, like an oatmeal stout on steriods but not to 'imperial' strength. Like 1.060+ but less than 1.080

6 lbs 2 row
6 lbs Munich
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb flaked oats
0.5 lb English Dark Crystal
0.5 lb English Black Malt

Still deciding on how much/what kind of hops to use.

I'd probably go with an English hop variety like East Kent Goldings or Fuggles. You may also want to consider substituting the basic 2 row (US I'm assuming) with Marris Otter or Golden Promise. Those malts make for an excellent Stout base in my opinion.

+1 on the Marris Otter, its got pretty killer biscuit/bready notes that can round off a stout's roasty-ness a little bit

Some of my favorite stouts have been just between American and Imperial with a good amount of Columbus, Cascade, Willamette or Warrior. Guideline wise they'd fit into both categories.

I like the idea of the otter with the munich, sounds like a nice mix. I'll go looking to see which of the suggested hops is cheapest in bulk.

Back