Good news and a few questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
My first beer brew is done. It's a delicious and complex IPA on par with many commercial IPAs, IMHO. I'm such a screw up I can't believe it worked.

My second is just about ready to crack open! A simple APA featuring perle hops.

My third is up for bottling in about a week. This is where I have my questions begin. It's a dopple weizen bock (my own experiential recipe) that I've based off of the Hopfenweisse, which is dry hopped with hallertau. This will be my first dry hopping. Here is the recipe for the 2.5 gallon batch:

Weihenstephan Smack Pack (a bit underpitched... so sue me ;) )
6.6 lbs wheat LME (added at 30 mins)
0.5 lbs caramel malt (10 lovibond) (steeped at 170 F for 20 mins)
3 oz Hallertau hops (an ounce at 60 min, 15 min, and 0)
1 oz Hallertau allotted for dry hopping.
OG: 1.085 IBU: 40

let me repeat, this is a 2.5 gallon batch! I feel like that's important.

I have a small muslin bag I plan to use for the dry hopping. I intended to dry hop today and let it ride the last 7 days. I allowed an ounce of hallertau, figuring that this wouldn't be over doing it.

But then today I brewed Brandon O's Graff, which only required 0.5 ounces of hops. I just happened to pick hallertau for that recipe. So now I have another 0.5 ounces of hops that I don't want to waste on hand, taped shut in the 'fridge.

Dry hoppers out there. Is 7 days too long? Would 1.5 ounces be over doing it?

If you suggest I use the original 1 oz, then how would you suggest I use my left overs? could I just pitch it in the graff for fun?

Also, just noticed a few cloudy, filmy type patches in my dopple. It's been two weeks since I pitched it. Is this Pellacile? how long does pellacile take to develope? two weeks seems like a long time for such a few little cloudy bits around the bubble patches.

Sounds like it could just be hop oils. they look like oil on wet pavement. And dry hopping 7 days is just right,imo for plenty of nose.

You're probably fine on the cloudiness, but keep an eye on it and monitor any changes.

for a 2.5 gallon batch, you may find 1.5oz for dry hopping at 7 days is a bit much. If you really enjoy IPAs/Double IPAs etc you may be very happy with it. 7 days is about the right time, although there are also many brewers who will add it directly to the keg (in a nylon bag or something similar) and allow it to float in the served beer the whole time with good results.

Good luck! Experience will tell you the most!

Hey thanks guys! Appreciate it. I'll have to figure out what to do with that 0.5 ounces of hops. Perhaps put them in a small ziplock and freeze them.

If I can get my camera to work, I will supply a picture of the cloudy spots on the surface of the wort.

I just pulled the airlock from the 3 gal fermenting carboy. Using a #6 stopper. Noticed some brown discolorations and the stopper smelled kinda funky. Maybe it was wet rubber. I don't remember now. I resoaked it in starsan. thoughts?

Thanks brother in homebrew! Way ahead of you. I just finished my second homebrew. I think my alcohol tolerance must be amazing. I'm very intoxicated, pretty relaxed and yet the "don't worry" part still alludes me. ;)

Back