Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaperruque

Reaction score
Should I through my dry hop pellets in a muslin bag while I dry hop or just through them in?

Either or. I just toss 'em in and cold crash before kegging. Most of the hop material settles to the bottom.

You know, I'm literally moments away from dry hopping, and I'm going to use a small muslin just to be safe. I'm going to soak it in sanitizer first.

I've done both ways, but I personally feel I get better results from just tossing them in, no hop sack. And like mentioned above, with a cold crash the hops settle to the bottom.

I just toss them in and put a muslin bag around my auto siphon when racking to bottling bucket. Its hard to get a muslin bag out of a carboy sometimes when full of swollen hops. If you do put a muslin bag on auto siphon, put the bag on dry, then use a rubber band to hold it on. Cut bag down close to bag. Then soak end in starsan. Reasoning is the bag will shrink and make it very difficult to put on when wet. Trust me on this.....Also dont let the end of the auto siphon go into trub because it will cause the muslin bag to clog fast and then it will suck air thru in between the 2 parts of auto siphon. You dont want to aerate you beer.. Then at end you can just keep moving it down the vessel closer to the bottom as it empty's.

klaperruque said:
Thanks. What's cold crashing? (Sorry first timer)

Cold crashing is when you place your fermenter in a cold place (34*F) for a few days. This is done after fermentation is completed and helps to drop the yeast out of suspension and firms up the trub at the bottom of the fermenter. It helps to get your final beer clearer

DocScott said:
Cold crashing is when you place your fermenter in a cold place (34*F) for a few days. This is done after fermentation is completed and helps to drop the yeast out of suspension and firms up the trub at the bottom of the fermenter. It helps to get your final beer clearer

Curious about cold crashing and my drop. Is it ok to cold crash with whole leaf hops still in the fermenter?

Using bags is totally dependent on the brewer. I use muslin bags when dry hopping with pellets. But when using whole hops... I huck them in loose without a muslin bag. :)

Gary

Latest posts

Back